Recommended OLED Display for MiSTer FPGA

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
aoshi323

Recommended OLED Display for MiSTer FPGA

Unread post by aoshi323 »

Hi

Im looking to purchase a new oled tv that works well with the mister fpga. I know there are are issues with the lg c2 when it comes to input lag in 4:3 mode

but wanted to know any alternatives.

thanks

Aoshi

jlancaster86

Re: Recommended OLED Display for MiSTer FPGA

Unread post by jlancaster86 »

The TV itself doesn't need to be in 4:3 mode; the MiSTer is perfectly capable at pillarboxing.

pbsk8

Unread post by pbsk8 »

I got a LG c1 55''

looks good with mister

FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

jlancaster86 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:30 pm

The TV itself doesn't need to be in 4:3 mode; the MiSTer is perfectly capable at pillarboxing.

This limits you to 1080p though, you won't be able to take advantage of 1920x1440. 2560x1440 also has its issues, namely that it is basically 1280x1440.

That said I personally have come to prefer 1080p with 5x cut on my C1, which should work about as well on a C2. You go outside the LG line and your lag generally goes way up, which is what you were trying to get around anyway on the C2.

Bunker

Unread post by Bunker »

I use a 65” LG B1 OLED, excellent tv.

Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

So they never fixed the 4:3 lag problem on the C2?

Newterra

Unread post by Newterra »

I’m seriously thinking of buying the new LG 27 inch oled gaming monitor. 27GR95QE-B. Anyone else thinking of buying it?

Arbitrary Function

Unread post by Arbitrary Function »

Subscribing to this thread since I'm also looking to buy a new OLED. I was close to getting the C2 on sale after Christmas, but then I saw this:

Too bad the C1 is no longer available where I live.

AngelicLiver

Unread post by AngelicLiver »

Arbitrary Function wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:58 am

Subscribing to this thread since I'm also looking to buy a new OLED. I was close to getting the C2 on sale after Christmas, but then I saw this:

Too bad the C1 is no longer available where I live.

My experience with the C2 is almost identical to Coury's Try's (sorry I always mix their names up). I ended up returning it for a C1 and am now super happy with it. I've been meaning to tinker with the MiSTer's HDR injection but haven't gotten around to it yet.

FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

AngelicLiver wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:17 am

My experience with the C2 is almost identical to Coury's. I ended up returning it for a C1 and am now super happy with it. I've been meaning to tinker with the MiSTer's HDR injection but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Try's :P

PikWik

Unread post by PikWik »

not much to add here, other than it seems like the LG's are more recommended in the MiSTer discord and people have had good results with them. i also have a 65" 4K LED TV and it is amazing to play retro on.

however, ive since moved on to using a native 1080p computer monitor and couldnt be happier.
please also keep in mind that with big screen 4K TVs and MiSTer cores, you will inherently add 1 frame of lag when you rotate your SHMUPs, or any other vertical cores. and even more lag when you start adding BFI

in my honest opinion, a computer monitor that can TATE in both directions is more important, and a computer monitor will handle those weird refresh rates better than a 4K OLED running in vsync_adjust=2

FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

With the freesync update compatible LGs handle all the weird refreshes fine now. Rotating would still be a challenge though...

Indeed I don't use BFI due to lag. But the situation isn't any better on monitors. Some of them have nice 120hz+ strobing but that is far too high a refresh for Mister systems. And it better be an OLED monitor if you want the same kind of pixel response!