Intellivision Core (INTV)

kamshaft

Intellivision Core (INTV)

Unread post by kamshaft »

This core appears to work properly, but I don't see it in the official list of cores.

http://temlib.org/pub/mister/Intv.rbf

I have no idea who created it or anything, or I don't see much source code either. Can we get this one added?
---
Owner of XboxAddict.com and ColecovisionAddict.com
---
rhester72
Top Contributor

Re: Intellivision Core (INTV)

Unread post by rhester72 »

The author is a member of this forum:

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=224
bootsector

Unread post by bootsector »

Grabulosaure is also the creator of the HDMI scaler that powers MiSTer's HDMI output: ASCAL.
kamshaft

Maybe he'll chime in and let us know.

Or he could post the source code so that someone else can continue with it. If he's done with it.
I'm sure it's real life busy for the guy.
---
---
ericgus09

Unread post by ericgus09 »

It works pretty well .. and even better with the 2600daptor and a real intellivision controller ..

would be nice to get it official though.
mario64

Unread post by mario64 »

Does this core require an Intellivision BIOS file?
kamshaft

mario64 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:33 pm Does this core require an Intellivision BIOS file?
Doesn't appear so.
---
---
mario64

Unread post by mario64 »

kamshaft wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:53 pm
mario64 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:33 pm Does this core require an Intellivision BIOS file?
Doesn't appear so.
Thank you
Sigismond0

Unread post by Sigismond0 »

Just toyed around with it. You can select and load BIOS files, and you'll get different "screen garbage" depending on which you select. The default garbage matches a couple of the BIOS files, which leads me to believe it may have one of those BIOS rips built in, and that would probably need to be removed for official release. That's just speculation though.
Grabulosaure
Core Developer

Unread post by Grabulosaure »

Thank for your interest.

Sources are there :
https://github.com/Grabulosaure/Intv_MiSTer

It needs to be reworked a bit before being part of "official" cores.

There are still a few issues/bugs, but it should support most Intellivision games and homebrews, including "Intellivoice", "Intellicart", "ECS" extensions.
Sigismond0 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:26 pm [...] leads me to believe it may have one of those BIOS rips built in, and that would probably need to be removed for official release
Yep, that's the main problem. Congratulations.
mario64

Unread post by mario64 »

Grabulosaure wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:00 am Thank for your interest.

Sources are there :

There are still a few issues/bugs, but it should support most Intellivision games and homebrews, including "Intellivoice", "Intellicart", "ECS" extensions.
Sigismond0 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:26 pm [...] leads me to believe it may have one of those BIOS rips built in, and that would probably need to be removed for official release
Very cool. Thank you for your work. Is the core basically complete except for the BIOS issue?
ericgus09

Unread post by ericgus09 »

Yea its really a nice effort .. and thank you .. I love showing my son some of the video games I grew up with .. and we had a ball playing them .. for that.. there is no price and no words that I can say to really convey my appreciation..
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

I installed this core a while ago and it does seem to work really well, it was great to play the games I remember from when I was a kid.
retrorepair

Unread post by retrorepair »

Never had an Intellivision and honestly didn't know it existed until the late 90s. Definitely on my list to check out.
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Unread post by Moondandy »

Could the core not be added to main with the BIOS removed, and have the user supply their own, like some of the other cores? Be great to have this released officially.
lomdar67

Unread post by lomdar67 »

Moondandy wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:28 pm Could the core not be added to main with the BIOS removed, and have the user supply their own, like some of the other cores? Be great to have this released officially.
Why the rush? If it's not ready it is not ready.

You know the repository now, so you can subscribe on Github and get e-mails when there is an update and update the core manually.

There are cores out there that will probably never be included in the official release for various reasons.
We raise hopes here...until they're old enough to fend for themselves.
--Mike Callahan
suverman

Unread post by suverman »

Thanks for the core and finding the core!
kamshaft

suverman wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:01 pm Thanks for the core and finding the core!
I always wondered why they had the Atari 2600 and Colecovision, but not the Intellivision. So, I did a Google-Fu search, and found the core.
I'm just glad the developer (Grabulosaure) made his way here! :)
---
---
Vic20-Ian

Unread post by Vic20-Ian »

retrorepair wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:52 pm Never had an Intellivision and honestly didn't know it existed until the late 90s. Definitely on my list to check out.
Check out "B17 Bomber" with a great accent on speech
retrorepair

Unread post by retrorepair »

Vic20-Ian wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:17 pm
retrorepair wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:52 pm Never had an Intellivision and honestly didn't know it existed until the late 90s. Definitely on my list to check out.
Check out "B17 Bomber" with a great accent on speech
Ha, yeah I remember the AVGN episode :)
lnielsen

Unread post by lnielsen »

I got the B-17 cartridge before the voice unit. I couldn't wait a few days to play so I tried without the voice. You had to keep hopping from view to view to see who was shooting you and missed a lot of targets. My wife and I still laugh about it.

Maybe the pilot was Chuck Yeager, I heard he had a strong southern accent.
KremlingKuthroat19

Unread post by KremlingKuthroat19 »

It's been a while since any updates on this core. Is the core still being worked on?
lnielsen

Unread post by lnielsen »

I have almost every game. My fingers would be killing me after a few games of Sea Battle against a friend.
rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

I just tried this with Astrosmash, but the sound seems pretty off. Anyone else experience that?
kathleen
Top Contributor

Unread post by kathleen »

Grabulosaure wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:00 am Thank for your interest.

Sources are there :

Hi Grabulosaure,

I saw that some updates were brought to the core 6 month ago while the latest compiled rbf core is from February 2020, will you or have you already proposed a new compiled rbf beta version with the latest modifications which could help to run the recalcitrant games (like the one mentioned at the above post or Space Armada, soccer which both freeze for instance) ?

Thanks again for this great core and for your hard work on different projects for the Mister!

かすりん

KremlingKuthroat19

Yeah, the Intellivision core is one of the cores I'm most excited for. With the Intellivision Amico coming out in April this year, it'd be amazing for this core to launch around the same time, but no pressure on getting it done early :)
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

KremlingKuthroat19 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:48 am Yeah, the Intellivision core is one of the cores I'm most excited for. With the Intellivision Amico coming out in April this year, it'd be amazing for this core to launch around the same time, but no pressure on getting it done early :)
I never heard of that until your post. I just checked it out and it looks like the perfect blend of retro/classic and modern gaming. Very cool!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXVR5eV ... e=youtu.be
KremlingKuthroat19

thorr wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:32 am
KremlingKuthroat19 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:48 am Yeah, the Intellivision core is one of the cores I'm most excited for. With the Intellivision Amico coming out in April this year, it'd be amazing for this core to launch around the same time, but no pressure on getting it done early :)
I never heard of that until your post. I just checked it out and it looks like the perfect blend of retro/classic and modern gaming. Very cool!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXVR5eV ... e=youtu.be
Yeah man. It's mind boggling that Atari, Intellivision and KFC of all companies are releasing consoles this generation lmao even though I'm a millenial, it feels like the early 80s
kfreiberg

Unread post by kfreiberg »

KremlingKuthroat19 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:29 pm Yeah man. It's mind boggling that Atari, Intellivision and KFC of all companies are releasing consoles this generation lmao even though I'm a millenial, it feels like the early 80s

You do realize that these "consoles" are not actually being released by the original companies/creators of Atari and Intellivision, correct? These are random people that bought up the rights to use the names to slap on mediocre hardware ideas to try to make a buck off of nostalgia.
KremlingKuthroat19

kfreiberg wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:23 pm
KremlingKuthroat19 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:29 pm Yeah man. It's mind boggling that Atari, Intellivision and KFC of all companies are releasing consoles this generation lmao even though I'm a millenial, it feels like the early 80s

You do realize that these "consoles" are not actually being released by the original companies/creators of Atari and Intellivision, correct? These are random people that bought up the rights to use the names to slap on mediocre hardware ideas to try to make a buck off of nostalgia.
Of course I know that. It doesn't make it any less novel. The Atari VCS is certainly a scummy console, but at least the Intellivision Amico has a lot of passion behind it. Tommy Tallarico is a huge fan of the original Intellivision. They have a vision, but the problem is that $249 price tag. Most people would rather buy a Switch for that price range. If they sold it at $100-150, then I could see it being successful.