Key Bindings Don’t Save

Just got a MiSTer and need some help? Join the forum and post your questions here!
Lloyd2084

Key Bindings Don’t Save

Unread post by Lloyd2084 »

Hi,

I helped a friend get a Mistercade setup for his birthday. He loves it!

For some reason key bindings don’t save for him. Should he delete the contents of the config folder or is there a setting somewhere we’ve missed?

He didn’t realise the MiSTer came preconfigured so wiped the SD card and did a fresh install before powering on. I didn’t follow his setup but from his description he did it in the expected way.

Thanks

Lloyd

Malor
Top Contributor

Re: Key Bindings Don’t Save

Unread post by Malor »

Has he taken the extra step of saving the core settings? After binding the keys, you have to save them. It's lower on the same page. On most cores, this also saves all the settings from the first page, as well. I think the Minimig and Atari ST do it a little differently, but I believe all the other cores save settings on the second page.

edit: Oh, I think the main menu key settings are remembered without an explicit save. But then you also have to configure each core, and cores need a manual save for the settings to stick.

Lloyd2084

That’s odd, I’ve never saved my settings on a core and they seem to be remembered.

However my friend’s issue is that it doesn’t save even when he does select save from the menu.

Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

Well, he could go to /media/fat/config and clear everything out, but I believe that will also wipe NVRAM saves (high scores for arcade games.) If he doesn't mind that, it's a quick way of starting over with all the cores. Reboot back to the main menu, clear the files in /media/fat/config, reboot again, and check to be sure the system is creating new files there when you save core settings.

Another option would be rebooting to the main menu, deleting only the config for one game or console, rebooting again, launching that core, and then trying to save settings. If that core generates a file, it should stick.

Another thought: is the config directory on the same filesystem with the main Mister binary? You can get weird results if it isn't. That's the default, but it's easy to move stuff around if you're a command-line jock.

Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

Which key bindings are we talking about?

There is a mapping which is saved per controller (which can be mapped to keyboard),
but separately there is a button/key remapping function (i.e. use a controller to send a keycode, "joy2key" type of thing)

The latter is never saved, it resets whenever the core is reloaded.

Lloyd2084

Thanks. I should be seeing him in the next few days so will try it out.

I’m talking about joystick and button configs. On my MiSTer, whenever I change from the defaults it keeps those settings when I next power on. I’m looking to get the same behaviour on his machine.

Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

Maybe check if the config files are read only (they shouldn't, but you never know)

It can also be a bad or corrupted SD card that is not writing properly. You can try doing a CHKDSK, or switch to another SD card to test (even a smaller one would do)