Xbox Wireless Adapter 2023 Status Questions

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
orbit

Xbox Wireless Adapter 2023 Status Questions

Unread post by orbit »

Does anyone have the Xbox wireless adapter working on mister?

I found this old thread viewtopic.php?t=1888 which seems to indicate that some work was done but it's not conclusive as to what was added in the end. Anyway the update script does not give me any xow scripts so i tried manually installing the ones from the git repo without any luck :(

The xow driver also seems to be out of date and the author strongly recommend that you instead use his new (under active development) xone driver (https://github.com/medusalix/xone).

This driver seems to require you to download firmware (provides a script) for the dongle that the driver then uses and should be way better than the old xow userspace driver.

Does anyone know the status of the xow stuff for mister? was it merged? is it possible to get it working?

Also .. can I help to get xone working instead?

orbit

Re: Xbox Wireless Adapter 2023 Status Questions

Unread post by orbit »

So .. after doing some digging .. it turns out that the xone driver is already available on my mister! (as a kernel module) and the firmware for the dongle is also there (/usr/lib/firmware/xow_dongle.bin)

I am 100% certain that i could not get the controller to connect to my dongle before (tried so many times) .. but now things just seems to be working :) It could be that i fired up the controllers in windows and paired them there?

Anyways. For posterity, this thread not confirms that the xbox controllers with the usb wireless dongle ARE working in mister!

beamrider

Unread post by beamrider »

Glad you got it sorted. I also have my two XBox 360 controllers working via the adaptor.

IRONBERG

Unread post by IRONBERG »

I've tested old white version, newer black and a third party all works flawless. I connect two controllers to one receiver without issues

orbit

Unread post by orbit »

One thing i notice is that it takes quite long for my controller to start working after boot. Like a minute after i turn it on before it pairs with the wireless dongle .. this is not a dealbreaker in any way but it is a bit annoying. Are you seeing the same?

Hagiographer

Unread post by Hagiographer »

This a great. I'm about the furthest thing from a coder - just enjoying the MiSTer platform. I was wondering what the feasibility of getting the chatpad attachment buttons to be recognized? There is a linux kernel driver out there that enables support of all controller accessories. I won't link to it in this post so as not to offend moderators - but it apparently supports all accessories including the chatpad - when using a wired connection or the official Xbox Wireless Adapter. Seems like that would be a big win for systems that use keyboard input and even old consoles that had the 11 digit number pads (intellivision, Colecovision, 5200, etc.) If not, no big deal.

FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

Just got this working but I have two questions:

1) I had to re-pair my xbox controller with the wireless adapter when plugged into mister. Taking the adapter back to windows, I had to do the pairing again. So windows and mister cannot share the same controller pairing even on the same adapter?

2) Is there any implementation of audio over the controller's headphone jack in mister? The github for the linux xone project mentions this is supported, but I didn't hear anything...

Missus

Unread post by Missus »

Hagiographer wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:25 pm

This a great. I'm about the furthest thing from a coder - just enjoying the MiSTer platform. I was wondering what the feasibility of getting the chatpad attachment buttons to be recognized? There is a linux kernel driver out there that enables support of all controller accessories. I won't link to it in this post so as not to offend moderators - but it apparently supports all accessories including the chatpad - when using a wired connection or the official Xbox Wireless Adapter. Seems like that would be a big win for systems that use keyboard input and even old consoles that had the 11 digit number pads (intellivision, Colecovision, 5200, etc.) If not, no big deal.

I too would love to see the chatpad working on Mister!

DTechNation

Unread post by DTechNation »

I used the Xbox USB Wireless adapter on my MiSTer and it works great.

I recently played Mario Party 2 with 4 players via the N64 core and it was a fun time, BUT on games where rapidly pressing a button was essential, we all were seeing missed inputs while everyone was pressing fast.

I have polling at 1000hz and the latest builds. Any way to resolve this issue or is 4 xbox controllers over the wireless dongle just too much to handle?

bootsector

Unread post by bootsector »

DTechNation wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:29 pm

I used the Xbox USB Wireless adapter on my MiSTer and it works great.

I recently played Mario Party 2 with 4 players via the N64 core and it was a fun time, BUT on games where rapidly pressing a button was essential, we all were seeing missed inputs while everyone was pressing fast.

I have polling at 1000hz and the latest builds. Any way to resolve this issue or is 4 xbox controllers over the wireless dongle just too much to handle?

Because of this and other issues I did went ahead and created my own 4-player Xone adapter that I use to play SNES bomberman with my family without issues. Are you based in the US? I could send you one for tests if you want it. Lemme know!

DTechNation

Unread post by DTechNation »

Yes I am in Illinois. Would be happy to assist and test 👍

bootsector

Unread post by bootsector »

DTechNation wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:02 pm

Yes I am in Illinois. Would be happy to assist and test 👍

Awesome! Will DM you! 😄