My MiSTer / 80 & 90s Nostalgia Setup

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
aegisk

My MiSTer / 80 & 90s Nostalgia Setup

Unread post by aegisk »

Hi everyone, I wanted to share the current state of my IronClad ITX based MiSTer build and overall gaming setup, both because I'm super happy with it and because I think some of the features might be interesting to other people thinking of building their own "advanced" MiSTer setup. It has taken me multiple years, iterations, a lot of money, some soldering and dev skills, but I'm absolutely in love with the result.

My goal was to create the cleanest (i.e. least amount of external cables!), most feature complete setup possible, for use in my living room. I've added an EXTENSIVE overview of all the components the current iteration uses, including pictures. Enjoy and feel free to ask for additional details.

SETUP HIGHLIGHTS:

• 2.4GHz controller support without needing a plethora of external adapters (8bitdo: NES/SNES/Genesis/Arcade Stick/PCE), mostly tucked away inside the case

• 2x additional Genesis controller ports on the back of the case, using low-lag converters (DaemonBite)

• Sony DualShock 4 controller using Bluetooth for PSX/Saturn cores

• Convenient drawer with foam insert for easy storage and access to controllers

• HQ components -> ATX power supply, power-brick, fans, RGB-cable, etc.

• SNAC support without a plethora of cables/adapters

• Includes both a large, high-end OLED screen (LG C1 77") and a hefty, high-end CRT screen (B&O BeoVision MX7000)

• VRR support (on the OLED, which is great for certain arcade cores and specific computer/console cores, e.g. WonderSwan)

• Sonos Beam + Sub + 2x Play:1 connected to the OLED (honestly amazing when playing games on both modern machines and on the MiSTer)

• Built-in Mt32-Pi (if you grew up in the 90s and had access to an Atari ST, PC or Amiga, this is a must)

• Tape input emulation using a Maxduino (as somebody that grew-up with a Commodore 16 and a ZX Spectrum 48k, before having access to an Amiga and PC, it's very enjoyable to start games this way every now and then!)

• Everything is connected through surge protectors

• Games/media stored on NAS, but capable of working as a stand-alone unit (having a NAS is great if you have an arcade machine, second MiSTer, Steam Deck, gaming PC for emulation, etc. I have yet to notice any kind of loading times, even through WiFi!)

• Docs: added how-to's and guides for most cores, including manuals for many of my favourite games, all accessible through the MiSTer's menu system, on a per system basis

• Curated list of favourite games (created using https://github.com/wizzomafizzo/MiSTer_Favorites)

• DVD/video playback on both TVs (super fun if you feel nostalgic for 80s/90s cartoons and movies)

1.jpeg
2.jpeg
3.jpeg
5.jpeg

TVs and Media
I have both TVs connected to the MiSTer and the DVD-player, and even though I prefer using the CRT, having both options available has proven to offer a lot of flexibility/convenience. The C1 offers VRR support, which is absolutely amazing when playing some arcade games and cores with weird refresh rates (e.g. WonderSwan --> 75Hz). The DVD-player is used to watch 80s cartoons and movies, either on DVDs or USB-stick.

• Modern: LG C1 77" OLED (HDMI2.1/VRR/4K/ARC/Dolby Vision/etc.)

• Classic: Bang & Olufsen MX7000 28" CRT (with 2 Scart sockets, great stereo audio and both 50Hz and 60Hz support!)

• DVD-player: Gueray All Region DVD Player (1080p upscaling, external HD/USB-stick playback, DVD-R/RW-CD-R/RW-USB support) (https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/product/B08F9NDZQM/)

Base MiSTer Components

MiSTer Case: Front Ports
routed from the motherboard's internal headers

• 2x USB 2.0 port
    meant for connecting temporary USB storage and/or controller (adapters) I only use sporadically

• 1x ADF port (mini jack) for tape-in

• 1x headphone port (mini jack) [not working yet! requires the future IronClad Hi-Fi Blaster module or other DAC]

MiSTer: Internal

MiSTer: Internal: Controller Adapters
all internal receivers are connected to the 2 Triple DaemonBite adapters and the USB hub (bluetooth and Logitech Unifying). I'm not entirely happy with the way the adapters have been placed inside the case, so I'm planning on improving cable management (i.e. shorter cables) and board placement

MiSTer: Case: Back Ports
the CEC Stripper is necessary if you want to use ARC on certain TV's (e.g. LG C1, C2, etc) as the DE10-Nano has a bug that disables ARC, even when the MiSTer is turned off

MiSTer: Case: Back Ports: Controller Adapters
I added the Decapod for lightguns and other console specific peripherals

MiSTer: Input Devices
I use the PS4 DualShock controller mostly with the PSX core. This specific MiSTer setup is for couch-based gaming, so the keyboard/mouse is purely used for management and minimal navigation within certain cores

• Keyboard/Mouse: Logitech K400 (https://www.newegg.com/logitech-k400-92 ... 6823126264)

• 2.4Ghz/DaemonBite: 2x 8bitdo M30

• 2.4Ghz/DaemonBite: 2x 8bitdo N30

• 2.4Ghz/DaemonBite: 2x 8bitdo SF30

• 2.4Ghz/USB: 2x 8bitdo PCE

• 2.4Ghz/USB: 1x 8bitdo Arcade Stick

• Bluetooth/USB: DualShock 4 (black)

• SNAC/DB9: Decapod DB9

MiSTer: Tape Input

MiSTer: Barcode Support
I am currently finalizing a feature-rich MiSTer script (based on BarcodeRattler) that enables collectors of physical games to integrate their physical games with a MiSTer setup, allowing them a bunch of cool features like starting games by scanning a barcode (either using a barcode scanner or a phone's camera) on a game box to start the game on the MiSTer directly

MiSTer: To do

• Micro SD port on the back: I want to add a MicroSD port to the back of the case using an extension cable and a 3D printed bracket so it can be accessed through one of the DB9 sized holes in the back.

• SNAX: support for PSX and Saturn controllers/light-guns, although I am not looking forward to the extra cable's..

• DAC: IronClad Hi-Fi Blaster (https://www.d3fmod.com/hi-fi-blaster-news/).

• Case Fan: This setup generates quite a bit of heat, so I'm planning on adding a case fan for an additional safety margin.

• Cable Management: improve cable management (i.e. shorter cables) and board placement (internal USB hub and Triple DaemonBite adapters).

• Tape Input: I want to upgrade my Maxduino to a SCV-CAS

• Screen: OLED/Matrix screen (e.g. TTY2OLED) either built in to the case (lol, if there's still space...) or as a stand-alone module built-in to the TV cabinet.

• Spinner: Ultimate Spinner Pro (https://ultimatemister.com/product/ulti ... inner-pro/).

• Light guns + holsters I want to add 1 holster on each side of the CRT TV's stand so I can use my GunCon 1 and/or GunCon 2 light-guns without having to store them awkwardly under the TV.

• Steering Wheel: not convinced about this one due to the location of my setup, but I might end up using a Negcon I have for my PSX as an alternative.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
felleg

Re: My MiSTer / 80 & 90s Nostalgia Setup

Unread post by felleg »

Thanks for sharing! Interesting coincidence: I also made a little side project around barcodebattler. I wrote a script that builds a PDF from a CSV of games so that it can be printed and scanned using an equivalent of barcodebattler. My code is very messy and more a proof of concept than anything, but you can see the resulting pdf here: https://felixleger.com/games (the highlighted games are shmups)

Let me know if you are interested in seeing the source, I'll be glad to help wherever the future of barcodebattler is going!

aegisk

Re: My MiSTer / 80 & 90s Nostalgia Setup

Unread post by aegisk »

Sounds great! And will do, thanks!! :)