Inject audio to SCART on Multisystem

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
BraveToaster

Inject audio to SCART on Multisystem

Unread post by BraveToaster »

Hi,

I have a MiSTer Multisystem which is connected to a 15 kHz TV via its built-in SCART RGB output. That generally works really well, but unfortunately, the Multisystem only provides the native MiSTer analog audio on the SCART cable. That is okay for the most part, but has a significant amount of annoying noise based on the image. I have a properly shielded SCART cable and already contacted Heber about it, and they said that what I'm experiencing is unfortunately what I can expect through analog audio out.

Since I really want to use the built-in TV speakers (they are good, and my room doesn't allow for speakers next to the TV), I'd like to inject audio from the TOSlink output via a D/A converter into the SCART cable. Unfortunately, such a cable doesn't seem to readily exist on the market.
Does anyone have another idea how I could inject an external audio signal (meaning Audio from the digital out via a D/A converter) into the SCART cable? Of course I could cut open the cable and inject it manually, but I'm not experienced with a soldering iron and it's not going to be pretty if I try. :)

C-R-T

Re: Inject audio to SCART on Multisystem

Unread post by C-R-T »

Damn, this should be advertised more. I didn’t know the Multisystem was such a bad product. The analog board has no such issues, the audio output is completely free from interference and noise. It’s better if you scrap the multisystem and get one of those.

BraveToaster

Unread post by BraveToaster »

I definitely wouldn't go that far. It's still a nice package overall, but considering how much they stressed the RGB SCART output in the introductory videos, it is disappointing that the audio signal on it suffers from so much noise.

mapf

Unread post by mapf »

Hi,

something like this could work: https://smile.amazon.de/dp/B07TNTJXSR

It depends on the cabling but usually they just bridge the corresponding lines.

Attachments
41HjQTNQizL._AC_.jpg
41HjQTNQizL._AC_.jpg (15.85 KiB) Viewed 765 times
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

If the monitor has separate audio inputs, you might be able to route them that way. I've never seen a European monitor, so I don't know if aux audio is even a thing there.

Normal MiSTer analog audio is apparently not very good. I'm not sure where the problem is, but it's generally recognized as quite sub-par. The digital outputs are perfect, however.

You could use this an excuse to buy nice stereo speakers, and connect the Toslink to a DAC or a receiver. This is going around the problem rather than fixing it, and isn't what you asked for, but you might enjoy doing it anyway.