Minimig Game Saving (Dungeon Master)

insanityprawnboy

Minimig Game Saving (Dungeon Master)

Unread post by insanityprawnboy »

Hi folks,

I've had my MiSTer for a couple of weeks now. I recently got the Amiga working on it.

My question here is this. Whilst playing Dungeon Master, how do I save where I am on it?

FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Re: Minimig Game Saving (Dungeon Master)

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

Go to a character's inventory (right click on their name?), there is a floppy disk icon near the sleep (zzz) and exit icons. You will need to have recruited at least one character from the hall of champions (ressurect or reincarnate)

Don't ask me how to handle the disk swapping if needed, I just use MegaAGS these days.

Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

If you're doing it with MegaAGS, make sure to exit Dungeon Master using the exit key. In the settings, you can either accept whatever default exit key was coded in the recipe, or you can override with a master exit key that works for all games instead.

You need to hit that key so that any changes that were made to the virtual floppies get written back to permanent storage. They're usually stored in RAM during play. It's rather similar to the Mister writing NVRAM to save files.

Jon

Unread post by Jon »

If using MegaAGS / WHDload remember to quit the game using the hotkey (think it's the DELETE key - anyway it tells you when launching the game).

insanityprawnboy

FoxbatStargazer wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:21 am

Go to a character's inventory (right click on their name?), there is a floppy disk icon near the sleep (zzz) and exit icons. You will need to have recruited at least one character from the hall of champions (ressurect or reincarnate)

Don't ask me how to handle the disk swapping if needed, I just use MegaAGS these days.

Of course, I remember now (in my defence, it has been 35 years since I played it). Thank you.

insanityprawnboy

Malor wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:58 pm

If you're doing it with MegaAGS, make sure to exit Dungeon Master using the exit key. In the settings, you can either accept whatever default exit key was coded in the recipe, or you can override with a master exit key that works for all games instead.

You need to hit that key so that any changes that were made to the virtual floppies get written back to permanent storage. They're usually stored in RAM during play. It's rather similar to the Mister writing NVRAM to save files.

Thank you. I found out the hard way I should do as you say there after getting a fair way into level two yesterday, then trying to load it up again today.

Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

Ouch, sorry. The ST version is the original and nearly identical, so it might be more pleasant to play there. If you're playing on a floppy image, saving in DM should save to the floppy right away, no extra step. You may have to do a floppy image shuffle, however; I don't remember if DM supports two drives or not.

And, of course, there's at least one port of Dungeon Master to modern Windows, so you don't have to emulate the old computers at all.

FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

Amiga DM added footstep sounds and Amiga CSB added a magic automap, some cool things missing from CSBWin since its based on disassembly of the Atari ST version. Although it might still win out of sheer convenience.

PC DOS DM has the footsteps and an interesting ending FMV. Don't recall if CSB was ported.

insanityprawnboy

Jon wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:59 pm

If using MegaAGS / WHDload remember to quit the game using the hotkey (think it's the DELETE key - anyway it tells you when launching the game).

I've just got around to having another go at this game. I saved, and then pressed the delete key, but nothing happened. I'm still a bit lost as to how I save.

Edit: Ignore this, I was pressing the wrong key (derp!).