OpenLara on MiSTer

bricabrac

OpenLara on MiSTer

Unread post by bricabrac »

Hello,

has anyone tried to run linux version of OpenLara on MiSTer? I don't know if it is even possible and google yields no results but seeing ScummVM working I am wondering if OpenLara could too. But having absolutely zero skills and experience in linux there is no way I could do this by myself.

If by any chance someone has actually achieved it I would be really greatfull for any hints.

Cheers.

Malor
Top Contributor

Re: OpenLara on MiSTer

Unread post by Malor »

The Mister has a weak CPU, and it might struggle to run that.

For others: it looks like OpenLara is an open-source engine to run the original Tomb Raider.

AngelicLiver

Unread post by AngelicLiver »

The GBA port (I guess pre-alpha?) works pretty well. Especially if you enable the core's turbo setting. Otherwise best to stick to the PlayStation originals.

The SoC on the DE10-Nano doesn't really have a GPU so even if you do get OpenLara working in Linux it would have to be entirely software rendered and slooooooow. I really don't see the appeal of applications like these, single board computers and cheap desktops can run this stuff easily and this is not within the scope of the MiSTer project.

bricabrac

Yes, correct. My fault I assumed it is widely know what OpenLara is. The github is: https://github.com/XProger/OpenLara. There are ports for many platforms, including very weak ones like 3DS, and among them is linux (nix), osx, android, rpi.

PistolsAtDawn

Unread post by PistolsAtDawn »

bricabrac wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:20 pm

Yes, correct. My fault I assumed it is widely know what OpenLara is. The github is: https://github.com/XProger/OpenLara. There are ports for many platforms, including very weak ones like 3DS, and among them is linux (nix), osx, android, rpi.

The 3DS has multiple ARM CPUs and dedicated graphics hardware though, so while it's true that it's not a powerhouse it's still much better at rendering 3D graphics than the DE-10 Nano.

At the end of the day, OpenLara is an application meant to be run on a complete system. The MiSTer is for running FPGA simulations of hardware (and associated software for that simulated hardware). Anything simple like ScummVM that can work with the limited power of the ARM core on the DE-10 Nano is a side bonus.

Anyway, I don't see any advantage in OpenLara running on the MiSTer when we have have the phenomenal PlayStation core upon which you can play the original Tomb Raider trilogy.

Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

The fact that the PS1 core even works at all amazes me, never mind that it's as good as it is. Creating even a simple 3D chip from scratch is amazing work.

Running TR1 on the PS1 core probably won't look as good as OpenLara, but it will work, and will be very low latency.

bricabrac

PistolsAtDawn wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:24 am
bricabrac wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:20 pm

The 3DS has multiple ARM CPUs and dedicated graphics hardware though, so while it's true that it's not a powerhouse it's still much better at rendering 3D graphics than the DE-10 Nano.

At the end of the day, OpenLara is an application meant to be run on a complete system. The MiSTer is for running FPGA simulations of hardware (and associated software for that simulated hardware). Anything simple like ScummVM that can work with the limited power of the ARM core on the DE-10 Nano is a side bonus.

Anyway, I don't see any advantage in OpenLara running on the MiSTer when we have have the phenomenal PlayStation core upon which you can play the original Tomb Raider trilogy.

Thank you for explaination. I wasn't aware MiSTer's CPU is so weak. In my mind this ARM A9 800MHz CPU is much faster than 486DX 120MHz which run DOS version of TR1 just fine.

Yes, I fully agree PS1 core is fantastic, it is just the PS1 version of TR which is not. For me the biggest problem with it is a very short drawing distance, which, unfortunatelly, is fixed so even that insane turbo mode of PS1 core does not change anything in that matter. So I was just hoping to "fix" that issue bu using OpenLara yet still remain on MiSTer as my one and only ultimate retro gaming platform.

dmckean

Unread post by dmckean »

The ARM CPU inside the DE-10 Nano's SOC lacks any sort of video, everything is output through the FPGA with a simple framebuffer using the shared DDR3 memory. This is going to be significantly slower than the fast SVGA cards or the early 3D cards that were used with the DOS version of Tomb Raider.

PistolsAtDawn

Unread post by PistolsAtDawn »

bricabrac wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:29 pm

Thank you for explaination. I wasn't aware MiSTer's CPU is so weak. In my mind this ARM A9 800MHz CPU is much faster than 486DX 120MHz which run DOS version of TR1 just fine.

Yes, I fully agree PS1 core is fantastic, it is just the PS1 version of TR which is not. For me the biggest problem with it is a very short drawing distance, which, unfortunatelly, is fixed so even that insane turbo mode of PS1 core does not change anything in that matter. So I was just hoping to "fix" that issue bu using OpenLara yet still remain on MiSTer as my one and only ultimate retro gaming platform.

Trust me, I get the desire to improve something you like. Unfortunately the MiSTer won't work in this scenario.

If I could somehow embed the MiSTer into the Steam Deck, I would be elated.

bbond007
Top Contributor

Unread post by bbond007 »

bricabrac wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:35 pm

has anyone tried to run linux version of OpenLara on MiSTer?

I went ahead and bought the Steam version for $1 --> https://www.humblebundle.com/store/tomb-raider-i

OpenLara was trivial to compile and run under the MiSTer LXDE environment.

MiSTer_OpenLara_LXDE.png
MiSTer_OpenLara_LXDE.png (998.94 KiB) Viewed 1540 times
bricabrac wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:29 pm

Yes, you are very correct - HPS would certainly run circles around a 486DX 120mhz, the issue is the "nix" version of OpenLara uses OpenGL which is emulated slowly.

I think it still could potentially work though because the project does target other platforms that are slower than the HPS and don't have OpenGL...

I don't see a SDL 1.2 target. That would be ideal.

Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

bbond007 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:44 am

the issue is the "nix" version of OpenLara uses OpenGL which is emulated slowly.

I'm hoping that one day we will have an FPGA versiom of OpenGL. Sone research has started on it. but not sure if they published any source code:
https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... Technology

bricabrac

I went ahead and bought the Steam version for $1 --> https://www.humblebundle.com/store/tomb-raider-i

OpenLara was trivial to compile and run under the MiSTer LXDE environment.

Many thanks for the answer and going this far as to try and actually run it. Much appreciated. I wasn't aware of thing like MiSTer LXDE. Out of curiosity I will look into this although I understand it is not the way to go to.

Yes, you are very correct - HPS would certainly run circles around a 486DX 120mhz, the issue is the "nix" version of OpenLara uses OpenGL which is emulated slowly.

I think it still could potentially work though because the project does target other platforms that are slower than the HPS and don't have OpenGL...

I don't see a SDL 1.2 target. That would be ideal.

Thank you for that information. So it may me doable then. That gives me a hope that maybe oneday someone out there in the depths of the Internet will be bored enough to actually make it happen. Just a software renderer but with OpenLara's advancements like longer rendering distance and perspective correction would be all I need... Stranger ports have happend in gaming so who knows...

Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

How well does it actually work under LXDE? I'd expect it to be kind of horrible?