Power Options for Portable MiSTer?

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
gamesfan

Power Options for Portable MiSTer?

Unread post by gamesfan »

Hey guys, kinda off topic but not, Im hoping I can get advise from those that are smarter than me.
Im thinking of building a portable mister arcade case and would like to power the Mister and Display with this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08JV4W4NY/

Where I hesitate is where some ports output multiple voltages, and I do not understand how it "knows" what volts\amps to apply. Maybe its as simple as the the device trys to pull more it gives more, but I dont know.

61oyGwf+KRL._AC_SL1200_.jpg
61oyGwf+KRL._AC_SL1200_.jpg (126.74 KiB) Viewed 1093 times

Has anyone used this or other similar devices to power Mister?

toastboy

Re: Power Options for Portable MiSTer?

Unread post by toastboy »

The usb C ports on that battery support USB-PD protocol (Power-Delivery?). This protocol allows the psu to negotiate the correct supply voltage with the connected device. Thats why you see 5/9/12 volts as options on that port, if the device asks for 12v, that's what it'll get.

If you plug a "dumb" device that doesn't support USB-PD into those ports, you'll just get 5v.

gamesfan

Unread post by gamesfan »

Thanks for that info and thats what Mister uses, so it seems like the Volts and amps would be fine.

Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

The Mister doesn't speak any power delivery protocols, and requires 5V input on the barrel connector, ideally at 4 amps. I'm not sure that supply would put out that much amperage without negotiation, which the Mister can't do. Port 4 might work, with an adapter to the barrel plug, but no promises.

Enthropy

Unread post by Enthropy »

You can buy very cheap USB PD charging boards that will negotiate the power output. Something like THIS.
This was the first one I found - don't treat the link as a recommendation. If you are not that money starved, you can surely find something less sketchy on Mouser or Digikey.

As for the power bank itself, I have this exact one. I have been using it with Nintendo Switch for more than two years and it did not die or set anything on fire.