multiple 8bitdo 2.4GHz controllers with daemonbite - issues

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
soulmedia

multiple 8bitdo 2.4GHz controllers with daemonbite - issues

Unread post by soulmedia »

Hi all,

I have the following controller setup for my MiSTer

• Multiplayer daemonbite SNES to USB adapter
  • 2 x SN30 2.4GHz controllers
  • Multiplayer daemonbite DB9 to USB adapter
  • 2 x M30 2.4GHz controllers

I find that when either set of controllers are plugged in separately they work fine. However when both are connected and being used together I see issues (most often on the SNES controllers) which seem to be intermittent disconnections.

Has anyone else run a similar setup successfully? One other thing - if I change the 2.4GHz Mega Drive receivers and use a standard wired Mega Drive pad they all seem to work fine, so I suspect that there is some sort of frequency clash in the controllers... Any help gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

gamesfan

Re: multiple 8bitdo 2.4GHz controllers with daemonbite - issues

Unread post by gamesfan »

I believe in thecode before you upload it to the ardruino board, you are able to specify a controller id. As long as they dont share the same id it should work ok. I have a couple TimsVille 3 port adapters I programmed and used 8bitdos 2.4 ghz adapter ok.

soulmedia

Thanks for the response on this. I didn't make the adapters myself so I'm not sure about the IDs, but I would think they must be different, because using wired controllers on one adapter alleviates the issue.

As a further test I set up my original SNES and mega drive side by side with the wireless receivers, powered both on and tried to use the controllers on each console. The issue was still there; it only seems to happen on the SNES controller but as soon as I turned off the mega drive there were no more disconnections.

I realise it's no fault of the MiSTer project but has anyone else come across this when using both sets of controllers? I suppose 8bitdo didn't expect people to use both at once? Is there any way of internally changing the frequency that they use?

IRONBERG

Unread post by IRONBERG »

What you are describing is wireless interference. A lot of stuff uses the 2.4 GHz band and the weakest of the bunch gets interruptions or disconnects. For example: my microwave Owen kills my 2.4 GHz wifi in the kitchen.

soulmedia

IRONBERG wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:49 pm

What you are describing is wireless interference. A lot of stuff uses the 2.4 GHz band and the weakest of the bunch gets interruptions or disconnects. For example: my microwave Owen kills my 2.4 GHz wifi in the kitchen.

True, although in this case the controllers are interfering with each others' frequencies, which you would have thought 8bitdo could have avoided...

I might contact their support to see if they have any suggestions, surely I'm not the first person to have noticed this issue.

redsteakraw

Unread post by redsteakraw »

I always suspected the problem is power, is there enough power being delivered to the adapter to power two wireless adapters?

Fear is the mind killer!
soulmedia

redsteakraw wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:26 pm

I always suspected the problem is power, is there enough power being delivered to the adapter to power two wireless adapters?

Thanks - yes that did cross my mind, although I have now tested the 8bitdo receivers separately (i.e. on the original hardware) and they exhibit the same problem, so it seems the issue must be with the receivers themsemves.

redsteakraw

Unread post by redsteakraw »

soulmedia wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:52 pm
redsteakraw wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:26 pm

Thanks - yes that did cross my mind, although I have now tested the 8bitdo receivers separately (i.e. on the original hardware) and they exhibit the same problem, so it seems the issue must be with the receivers themsemves.

Most consoles power is shared between ports which means that if two of them are plugged in they can draw more power than the original console provides as well. If you have two separate daemonbites with one wireless adapters plugged in each you would see that they should both work and thus when they have enough power work. The only other thing I can think about is interference

Fear is the mind killer!
ItalianGrandma

Unread post by ItalianGrandma »

I just know that I use separate Daemonbites for each controller (I also have two 2.4g M30s and two 2.4g SNES pads) and I've played two player games with friends without issue. I guess the only thing with my Daemonbites is that I did change the ID names for each adapter so they are different, but that doesn't seem to be the problem here.

soulmedia

Thanks all for the responses. I might try individual controllers on each adapter to try to narrow down the issue.