Atari 800XL How to Run .XEX Files?

emuola

Atari 800XL How to Run .XEX Files?

Unread post by emuola »

Sorry, noobie here. It seems ATR's are no my friends, so how can I run .XEX files. :oops: All help highly appreciaeted :oops:

12characters

Re: Atari 800XL How to Run .XEX Files?

Unread post by 12characters »

Mount the ATR or XEX file in the core menu. Then press F10 to boot. See https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Atari800_MiSTer#disks.

emuola

Unread post by emuola »

emuola wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:57 pm

Sorry, noobie here. It seems ATR's are no my friends, so how can I run .XEX files. :oops: All help highly appreciaeted :oops:

Sorry, I understood that F10 would only work for ATR's, my bad 🤦‍♂️ Thank you for your help 👍

mbalmer

Unread post by mbalmer »

.XEX files are "executables" -- something you run from within DOS. The only way I know how to start an XEX is to boot something like SpartaDOS X, mount your disk, change to the mounted disk (if necessary), then type "X <FILENAME.XEX>" to run.

Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

mbalmer wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:50 am

.XEX files are "executables" -- something you run from within DOS. The only way I know how to start an XEX is to boot something like SpartaDOS X, mount your disk, change to the mounted disk (if necessary), then type "X <FILENAME.XEX>" to run.

The core supports loading XEX files without the need of running any DOS. You can just load them from the core menu into the memory of the Atari and press F10.

emuola wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:03 am
emuola wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:57 pm

Sorry, I understood that F10 would only work for ATR's, my bad 🤦‍♂️ Thank you for your help 👍

F10 performs a cold start of the machine its function is not tied to the use of ATR files.

For anybody needing a manual for the core: the github page of the MiSTer core links to the Mark Watson's site. He is the original author and wrote an excellent PDF document that covers all aspects of the core.

Milongero

Unread post by Milongero »

Some games need to hold down the option key(F8) in addition to the reset key (F10) at the same time.
This prevents the start of the Basic from the ROM