amigastore.eu

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
TuffyDK

amigastore.eu

Unread post by TuffyDK »

Hi all.

I just wounder if there are others who had bought the MISTer FPGA from AmigaStore.eu (https://amigastore.eu/en/866-mister-min ... puter.html)

I've bought one and after 7-10 days of use, the power button on the Mister fpga mailfunctions and only works if you hold it in all the time. Well I found out if you use a toothpick and press it in, it will hold the buttion like its pressed in (but it dont look nice tho)

My attention of this post is, if there are other who has the same issues with that Mister from AmigaStore.eu???.

I've contected the store and they told me that this is the first time they have heard of that problem ???

Regards
Frank

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Re: amigastore.eu

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

I haven't bought a MiSTer from them, but I've bought items from amigastore.eu multiple times without problems.

Slightly related, a long time ago I found a brand new CRT (only a few months old), that had been thrown out by an office nearby. Turned out it turned off by itself. A similar fix to what you are using was needed, I held the power button down with an old creditcard. After a short while (might have been a week) the button started working correctly and never failed again.

This was a clicky push button, not a regular on/off switch, most likely very similar to the push button switches used for MiSTer.

My point is, it can happen with brand new buttons and could fix itself after holding it down for some time. I do think the seller should solve the problem, but that might be more of a hassle. Alternatively you could solder in a new switch, but you shouldn't have to do that.

TuffyDK

Unread post by TuffyDK »

LamerDeluxe wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:47 am

I haven't bought a MiSTer from them, but I've bought items from amigastore.eu multiple times without problems.

Slightly related, a long time ago I found a brand new CRT (only a few months old), that had been thrown out by an office nearby. Turned out it turned off by itself. A similar fix to what you are using was needed, I held the power button down with an old creditcard. After a short while (might have been a week) the button started working correctly and never failed again.

This was a clicky push button, not a regular on/off switch, most likely very similar to the push button switches used for MiSTer.

My point is, it can happen with brand new buttons and could fix itself after holding it down for some time. I do think the seller should solve the problem, but that might be more of a hassle. Alternatively you could solder in a new switch, but you shouldn't have to do that.

Hi LamerDeluxe,

They have asked me to send the bord to em - But as a Private person will cost me around $50 or even more in postage and a new box to transfer it in, and that is without ensurence on the package. Overkill just to replace a push button.

The last mail I've send to em, is that I think they should send me a new card (the top one with the button it) then I will send the faulty back to them, but They have not responded to that mail yet.

Last alternative is that they send me 1 or 2 of those push button they have used, then I will solder it on my self - Im an avg. solder, that that should be no problem I guess.

The Push button looke very much alike this one.

https://www.harfington.com/products/p-1150719

/Tuffy

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

TuffyDK wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:18 pm
LamerDeluxe wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:47 am

Hi LamerDeluxe,

They have asked me to send the bord to em - But as a Private person will cost me around $50 or even more in postage and a new box to transfer it in, and that is without ensurence on the package. Overkill just to replace a push button.

The last mail I've send to em, is that I think they should send me a new card (the top one with the button it) then I will send the faulty back to them, but They have not responded to that mail yet.

Last alternative is that they send me 1 or 2 of those push button they have used, then I will solder it on my self - Im an avg. solder, that that should be no problem I guess.

The Push button looke very much alike this one.

https://www.harfington.com/products/p-1150719

/Tuffy

Oof, that is expensive. I was expecting a more simple switch, like the ones used for the analog board buttons.

Soldering it indeed shouldn't be hard, but it is a bit of a bummer that it would be needed. It does seem like the best option if the switch doesn't start working correctly after a while.

TuffyDK

Unread post by TuffyDK »

its kinda "smart ass" switch - LOL.

Yes just my thought - Do it your self and hey, I only paid around 650 eruo's for it all inclusive... Hmmmmmm!!

Well it has been running with the Toothpick which holds the button like its pressed all the way in - And it has been running for around 8 hours in total without any errors, reboot or disconnect of the USB controller or USB stick.

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

:D

Yeah a MiSTer is getting pretty expensive nowadays.

Maybe wait for like a week to see if the switch magically starts working correctly.

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

The switch could also just be bypassed. The official design doesnt have a switch on it other than on the Digital IO board. So easiest would be to just bridge the switch and live with turning it on and off by the mains

TuffyDK

Unread post by TuffyDK »

FPGA64 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:28 pm

The switch could also just be bypassed. The official design doesnt have a switch on it other than on the Digital IO board. So easiest would be to just bridge the switch and live with turning it on and off by the mains

True so true, but I need the schematics for that button, or the real button, so I can use a Ohm-meter to find out my self.