Google Maps on the C64

Caldor
Top Contributor

Google Maps on the C64

Unread post by Caldor »

Google Maps on the C64... I wonder if this could run on the MiSTer? I am guessing it won't because this acts as a cartridge and needs a custom ROM as well. The MiSTer C64 core should be capable of loading that ROM, but it looks to me like the web features rely on this custom hardware and that it would not be enough to use the Internet capabilities of the C64 cores. I think it can get online if I am not mistaken?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14giLbM4rhk

ericgus09

Re: Google Maps on the C64

Unread post by ericgus09 »

The cartridge is just a wifi modem as I understand it and thats already implemented in the c64 core .. and the custom rom just adds a "LOAD" command that even in one of the videos I watched was purely optional, most of the heavy lifting is done on the server side you connect to .. so I dont see why it couldnt work, you just need to run the right programs on the 64 side and ensure the modem emulation is enabled .. in theory it should work..

The question is beyond the initial novelty factor .. it doesnt have much long term use .. but the overall concept of loading stuff off a remote server is pretty cool.

Armakuni

Unread post by Armakuni »

There is only RS232 and IEC lines exposed by the Userport on the C64 and the hardware needs 8 data lines, 2 handshake lines and 1 control line.

It might be possible to add the hardware on the core but can't see that happening

ericgus09

Armakuni wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:31 pm

There is only RS232 and IEC lines exposed by the Userport on the C64 and the hardware needs 8 data lines, 2 handshake lines and 1 control line.

It might be possible to add the hardware on the core but can't see that happening

No need its already in the core "UART-MODEM"

I dont think the cartridge does anything special that the existing functionality in the c64 core for the built in "wifi" modem emulation that "UART-MODEM" setting in the core does now.. so its unlikely you actually even need to connect it.. I mean sure if thats what you want to do and see if you can hack wiring the WiC64 to the mister then sure, go for it, but I dont think to get the google maps program to run its required at all .. all the WiC64 is essentially is a wifi modem and the core does this already if you set in the core the uart to "modem". The only other thing you need to do is load their special display program .. (the google map images are pre-rendered by a web rendering proxy server you connect to, the wic64 isnt doing the conversion).

the "custom kernel" rom we can easily load but in one of the videos I watched all that does is hack out the tape loader kernel routines to run a command for you to get the data remotely, and as they mention in the video its not required to have the custom (experimental) kernel rom.

edit: I am looking at the various source code files to see if I can figure out what protocols its using.. but it might just be something as simple as having that added to the UART-MODEM on the Linux/ARM side ..

ericgus09

Update: ok at first glance at the published firmware, it does seem this device isnt a wifi modem, so on that I stand corrected, seems they are using some kind of straight up http type protocols .. the wic doesn't do all the work, it connects to a back end server the Wic folks run, the back end server does most of the work and its that which does a lot of the heavy lifting (eg scraping google maps to a format the 64 can use) .. its a clever design, interesting .. that said, from what I see, I still think it could be done with a modification / enhancement to the UART stuff that runs on the Linux/ARM side, but given this is exceptionally proprietary to the c64/Wic there would be no use of this outside of that.. not sure how open they would be to adding this. ill keep poking at this its a unique take.. but it does seem to be using its own form of protocols that somewhat mirror http calls.

Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

Yeah, I was pretty sure it does more than just be a modem, and the custom firmware I have heard is not really needed, but the hardware itself seems to help make it possible to open web links in some way. The custom firmware I think just helps make it more accessible.

ericgus09

Caldor wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:40 am

Yeah, I was pretty sure it does more than just be a modem, and the custom firmware I have heard is not really needed, but the hardware itself seems to help make it possible to open web links in some way. The custom firmware I think just helps make it more accessible.

Yea as far as I can tell the custom kernel rom just co-opts the tape "LOAD" command to do an HTTP fetch over the userport with the wic .. I do think this kind of functionality (in theory) could be added to the Mister and it would likely fall on the UART setting .. and specifically the midilink stuff that runs on the misters ARM side (possibly adding a new selection option alongside the current values) .. but it would be very specific and only to this application and the c64 -- .. Its cool and everything, but im not sure if its worth the effort to port it all just to poke at it for a week or two then move onto some new distraction.. If you have a real machine, it might be worth building one .. that said, i think there was something similar someone was talking bout (forget where) and they were discussing a new BBS protocol .. I dont think it was a RIP type bbs but along those lines.. And of course there is the PLATOTerm project .. again not identical but similar..