So Robert Peip (FPGAzumSpass) Is Working on a New Core...

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
H6rdc0re

Re: So Robert Peip (FPGAzumSpass) Is Working on a New Core...

Unread post by H6rdc0re »

Been thinking but isn't the new core NeoGeo CD!?

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

thats being done by Paulb-Nl not Robert

werpu

Unread post by werpu »

thorr wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:46 pm
Hodor wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:15 pm

Elevator Action (Taito System SJ) is already under development though I don´t remember the author now. Robert has said several times he dislikes arcades so I bet for a console like 3DO or Jaguar -I would love PGM but IS an arcade board similar to Neogeo MVS-.

I wish your list come to reality some day.

Thanks! I had heard about Elevator Action also, which is exciting, but until we have it, it doesn't exist to me. Apple IIgs was supposed to be coming as well, but I haven't heard anything about it in ages. I think maybe color Mac too. I would just like to someday have my list complete (except the N64 which probably will never come). I am in no particular hurry though.

Yes the AppleIIGs has been a huge hole in the core list for ages. Another hole are the first Sun Workstations and the NeXTCube all within the realm of still being doable on the MiSTer! But from a games point of view the IIGs probably is the biggest one. Not sure if you can do the first color macs, but probably very likely!

thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

werpu wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:24 pm

Yes the AppleIIGs has been a huge hole in the core list for ages. Another hole are the first Sun Workstations and the NeXTCube all within the realm of still being doable on the MiSTer! But from a games point of view the IIGs probably is the biggest one. Not sure if you can do the first color macs, but probably very likely!

I believe there is a core for Sun Sparc workstations. Great for retro-working. ;) I want to install CAD software on it someday. Color Mac is completely possible in my opinion. Also, we need DEC Alpha, and DEC VT terminals and mainframes, and the Eniac. :D Just kidding about those last few.

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

The unofficial SparcStation can run NEXTStep, not a NEXT Cube but a good start.

ericgus09

Unread post by ericgus09 »

NextCube needs a 68040, AFAIK no one has a good FPGA implementation of that yet ..

pgimeno
Top Contributor

Unread post by pgimeno »

FPGAzumSpass wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:37 pm

Most "2D" DS titles use the 3D engine to show more sprites or even just use it as additional 5th background layer.
Only very few titles don't use 3D at all. Easily < 10%

As a programmer who has enjoyed the GBA video hardware and hated the GBA sound hardware and CPU limitations, I would be delighted to have a GBA with the processor and speed of a DS and the sound system of a DS. I don't care that much about the 3D or how many games work.

That probably isn't a very popular opinion, sadly.

prAma

Unread post by prAma »

Sony PlayStation arcade hardware

Capcom Sony ZN-1
Capcom Sony ZN-2
Konami Bemani Karaoke
Konami Bemani System 573 Analog
Konami Bemani System 573 Digital
Konami Bemani Twinkle
Konami GQ System
Konami GV System / Baby Phoenix
Konami System 573
Konami System 573 Satellite Terminal
Namco System 10
Namco System 11
Namco System 12
Taito FX-1A System
Taito FX-1B System
Taito G-NET System

redsteakraw

Unread post by redsteakraw »

prAma wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:33 pm

Sony PlayStation arcade hardware

Capcom Sony ZN-1
Capcom Sony ZN-2
Konami Bemani Karaoke
Konami Bemani System 573 Analog
Konami Bemani System 573 Digital
Konami Bemani Twinkle
Konami GQ System
Konami GV System / Baby Phoenix
Konami System 573
Konami System 573 Satellite Terminal
Namco System 10
Namco System 11
Namco System 12
Taito FX-1A System
Taito FX-1B System
Taito G-NET System

While nice he would have been farther along than he is and would not have to implement as much stuff. So I am going to cross that out. I doubt it is Jaguar as Jotego is working on that so all that is left is 3DO, CDI, Vax11, PDP-11 and neo geo pocket color.

Fear is the mind killer!
Waifu4Life

Unread post by Waifu4Life »

redsteakraw wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:12 pm

While nice he would have been farther along than he is and would not have to implement as much stuff. So I am going to cross that out. I doubt it is Jaguar as Jotego is working on that so all that is left is 3DO, CDI, Vax11, PDP-11 and neo geo pocket color.

NGP is being worked on by Jotego.

redsteakraw

the_importer wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:49 pm
redsteakraw wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:12 pm

NGP is being worked on by Jotego.

Yes but there hasn't been an update on it recently and Jotego has a million projects. And furthermore the NGP color wasn't being worked on just the regular NGP was being worked on by Jotego. I am thinking it may be the same situation with the PSX where it was stopped being worked on and Robert jumped in. That and Robert loves working on handhelds and I don't think there are many handhelds left that can be done on the MiSTer as the DS has a core but it doesn't fit on the MiSTer. The PSP also probably won't fit as well and things aren't red enough for the Virtual boy.

Fear is the mind killer!
arromdee

Unread post by arromdee »

Isn't N-Gage also possible? And game.com?

(And I don't know what "things aren't red enough" means. I assume that that's a play on words based on the Virtual Boy being red but you are not literally saying that Virtual Boy is impossible because of color.)

redsteakraw

arromdee wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:13 am

Isn't N-Gage also possible? And game.com?

(And I don't know what "things aren't red enough" means. I assume that that's a play on words based on the Vuirtual Boy being red but you are not literally saying that Virtual Boy is impossible because of color.)

I don't know maybe, the N-Gage has a very narrow screen and the game.com is in black and white. The Game.Com should be doable, the N-Gage is on the fence. The N-Gage mostly had some PSX ports but the Game.Com was garbage, looked like garbage and played like garbage and sounded like garbage why would anyone want that horrible device tainting the MiSTer and humanity as a whole.

Fear is the mind killer!
colonel panic

Unread post by colonel panic »

why would anyone want that horrible device tainting the MiSTer and humanity as a whole.

Idk, I'd check out the versions of Resident Evil 2, Duke Nukem 3D, and prototype of Castlevania SOTN on there for kicks if it was released

FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

N-Gage is a phone so it could be rather complex, depending on how much of the phone side is needed for gaming. Game-com is probably much simpler, seems even less capable than a gameboy, although you'd still have to find someone interested in doing the substantial work.

Waifu4Life

Unread post by Waifu4Life »

redsteakraw wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:01 pm

...And furthermore the NGP color wasn't being worked on just the regular NGP was being worked on by Jotego...

Can you source this, cause I don't recall him saying that it's only a core for the B&W NGP.

mathieulh

Unread post by mathieulh »

PC-FX and PC98 cores are sorely missing in my opinion. I wouldn't mind a virtual boy with SBS 3D support either.

KremlingKuthroat19

Unread post by KremlingKuthroat19 »

Robert has said multiple times that he doesn't have any interest in making arcade cores, even ones based on PSX hardware, so we can scratch those. He also mentioned that he doesn't care if another core is in development from another dev so that means that Jaguar, Neo Geo Pocket, and even Sega Saturn is in consideration, so that's worth thinking about. We also know that this core has homebrew software from his posts.

My guesses are Jaguar, Neo Geo Pocket, Virtual Boy, or maybe even Saturn. Less likely candidates are 3DO (since Robert mentioned he's not that interested since it would take as long to develop as PSX), PC-FX, CD-i and Game.com. Just my 2 cents.

FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

I can't imagine game.com being something you hold back on announcing because you're not sure if its possible on Mister. Or even PC-FX or NGP for that matter. Probably CD-i too but there could be something difficult about the video decoder chips or whatever. Virtual Boy is also surely doable, except for where you need to make an accessible stereoscopic display, that could be tricky.

KremlingKuthroat19

FoxbatStargazer wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:23 pm

I can't imagine game.com being something you hold back on announcing because you're not sure if its possible on Mister. Or even PC-FX or NGP for that matter. Probably CD-i too but there could be something difficult about the video decoder chips or whatever. Virtual Boy is also surely doable, except for where you need to make an accessible stereoscopic display, that could be tricky.

I guess that’s an interesting detail I missed. I remember Robert mentioned that he didn’t want to work on another PSX sized project bc it took a year and a half of his life so he’d work on a smaller project next. However, if the system is pushing the limits of the DE10 Nano, I can’t help but think that it would be on the scale of a PSX in terms of power and fit. If that’s the case, then I’d say Jaguar, 3DO or Saturn are the likely candidates with CD-i being a dark horse for the reasons you mentioned

Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

Would be hilarious if it ends up being the PC-FX. I'm interested in it due to being NEC's last console but I have to admit the games aren't very good (and for the most part not playable in English).

I do hope it's the Virtual Boy. The 3D part can be delegated to the screen using a side-by-side display. Or even combined in a fake 3D you could rotate with extra controller buttons or sticks.

PistolsAtDawn

Unread post by PistolsAtDawn »

I'm also hoping for the Virtual Boy. It has an interesting history, the games were good, and without the original headset display it's less likely to give anyone a headache.

redsteakraw

So the latest hint has sound and this is either super advanced Midi or CD quality sound. I am thinking this has to be a disk based system. So 3DO, Saturn, NEO Geo CD, CDi or Jaguar CD

Fear is the mind killer!
pac

Unread post by pac »

Exciting. Super curious which system it'll be.

pgimeno
Top Contributor

Unread post by pgimeno »

I doubt it's Saturn, given the current WIP core can already run some games, and because it would be a very ugly thing to do to srg320. As much as I hope it was a 3DO, I don't really think that will be it. NGCD sounds plausible, given the size of the project.

redsteakraw

Oh and I forgot one more dark horse the Apple (Bandai) Pippin interesting but I doubt any thing that niche would be used that and the FM Towns Marty. Or he could be trolling us and be developing a Mattel Hyper Scan core.

Fear is the mind killer!
KremlingKuthroat19

“too many things for a short life...playing some instrument, learning spanish, playing through all Final Fantasy games, developing another (3rd?) jaguar core....but well, just the usual things you do in life”

Direct quote from Robert in the PSX Discord channel. Some people are saying this is a list of things he failed to accomplish and some are saying this is confirmation of a Jaguar core since 3rd Jaguar core would be after Kitrinx and Jotego announcing his core, making it 3rd. What say you thread?

PistolsAtDawn

Unread post by PistolsAtDawn »

What's the reaction going to be like when it's revealed he's working on Tiger Electronics handhelds or some other unexpected system?

mario64

Unread post by mario64 »

The whole secrecy thing is annoying. He said it’s in case the core isn’t doable but he announced PSX knowing it may not be doable. Makes no sense.

dmckean

Unread post by dmckean »

mario64 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:17 am

The whole secrecy thing is annoying. He said it’s in case the core isn’t doable but he announced PSX knowing it may not be doable. Makes no sense.

He had already been working on PSX for almost three months before he announced it. He had already written a number of tests to gauge its feasibility and he only had a few concerns (you can watch his Youtube videos he made at that time about that).

With all of Robert's handheld cores he had always waited until the first commercial games were booting before he announced he was working on them. It's just the way he operates.