Direct Video to Component pink screen Sony Trinitron display

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
aapuzzo

Direct Video to Component pink screen Sony Trinitron display

Unread post by aapuzzo »

I am trying to go from Direct Video HDMI to Component. I have used the Moread HDMI to VGA adapter with a Monoprice VGA to Component adapter and I am receiving a pink picture. The ypbpr=1 actually makes the picture look even more pink. Below are the settings I have tried. My best results have been with ypbpr=0 (off) and lowering the color settings on my Sony Trinitron. I can buy a hdmi to component transcoder but my goal is to use light guns with a SNAC port adapters for older consoles so I don't know if the latency will impact this. The whole point of mister is for no latency. I am ordering an analog IO board for the hell of it but really want to use the digital IO board for the benefits.

HDMI to VGA https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MS611LJ
VGA to Component https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001O8C6HM

I created the Sync on Green circuit using a 330 ohm resister and tried other resistors as well. The sync is working as my screen isn't scrolling. The resistor didn't seem to affect the picture at all. I tried no resistor 330 ohm and 1k.

The mister ini file has the following settings.

ypbpr=1 (Actually looks better set to 0 which makes no sense. Setting to 1 makes it look even more pink.)
composite_sync=1 (Stops the scrolling)
direct_video=1

hdmi_limited=2 (Tried 0 - 2 values with no difference)

Any ideas? My goal is to be able to use 256mb of memory and oem light guns when possible using the snac adapter. I understand nothing really uses 256mb yet but want one build that can do everything.

aapuzzo

Re: Direct Video to Component pink screen Sony Trinitron display

Unread post by aapuzzo »

Thanks for the reply.

The fix actually didn't work for me so my issue may be different. After reading the post I went and tested with an older build release_20220413 since the issue for the other person seemed to be new and I just started with Mister. I also tried with the fixed mister file using a fresh install of release_20221224 with no luck. I validated my component inputs are working right with a Wii. I should have an Analog IO board next week and went and order this component adapter from ultimate mister https://ultimatemister.com/product/ulti ... component/. This way I can eliminate the monoprice cable if that is the issue. I can use a standard male/male cable then and see if I get the same results. Also this adapter says it can output composite using the Y/C cores. Is this adapter doing anything special that my setup isn't? The YC cores definitely give my a fuzzy picture with the better colors if I plug the green into a standard composite input and change the core to Y/C. It definitely looks bad for clarity reasons though.

My pink component picture looks amazing but pink.

Has anybody else had luck with the monoprice cable? Amazon the amazon listing claimss it may not work with all devices that can't output a component signal through a vga connector.

ItalianGrandma

Unread post by ItalianGrandma »

Maybe try a different hdmi to vga adapter? I’d imagine it’ll probably work right once you have the Analogue I/O board.

aapuzzo

Unread post by aapuzzo »

I really don't want to use the analog IO board if I can avoid it because the digital board seems more future proof. I have no need to output both signals at the same time other than for testing. My goal isn't to just put a picture on the screen but to be compatible with light guns such as NES with the snac adapter. There is talk of cheaper HDMI to VGA adapters like moread not being full range and such. Anybody know a higher quality one that is full range and works? I'm also tempted to just get another tv but most with component are 27". Since the one I have now is 20" I will be more inclined to take it out and use it but if it doesn't work what food is it. There is a real good 27 inch on Facebook marketplace right now I could grab if this is never going to work. I actually used to own the tv 20 years ago. Bigger and 20lb heavier but would work great.

aapuzzo

Unread post by aapuzzo »

I finally got my analog IO board and it works fine with the component cables and my Trinitron TV. I would really love to swap to the digital board and use direct video however. Interesting how my TV just doesn't like it.

daveo

Unread post by daveo »

I’ve had same issues to a Sony PVM

To my Sony consumer 21” crt it works great

To my Sony PVM 20m2mdu it shows the pink hue

Using all same cables and setup etc.

Using the analogue I/o board and component it works fine with either.

uddinf

Unread post by uddinf »

daveo wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:28 pm

I’ve had same issues to a Sony PVM

To my Sony consumer 21” crt it works great

To my Sony PVM 20m2mdu it shows the pink hue

Using all same cables and setup etc.

Using the analogue I/o board and component it works fine with either.

Try ypbpr=0
and set the PVM RGB in the menu settings (not COMP)

That solved the pink hue problem for me with my Sony PVM

daveo

Unread post by daveo »

uddinf wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:05 am

Try ypbpr=0
and set the PVM RGB in the menu settings (not COMP)

That solved the pink hue problem for me with my Sony PVM

Thanks, but yes direct video to RGB works fine on the PVM.

It's just when outputting to component. RGB is the better way to go anyway, I was just playing with component as was thinking might be easier to use a component switch.

liuszuping

Unread post by liuszuping »

In the new version of mister, ypbpr=x has been deprecated. Try using vga_mode=x?. Depending on the output, you can refer to this table:
https://mister-devel.github.io/MkDocs_M ... tion-table