RTC Not Working

Longtime4321

RTC Not Working

Unread post by Longtime4321 »

I just recieved an RTC module from Mister Addons. Upon installing it and running rtc.sh I am greeted with the following error:

• hwclock: Cannot access the Hardware Clock via any known method.
    hwclock: Use the --verbose option to see the details of our search for an access method.
    Unable to set the RTC.
    Press any key to continue

I've tried dinking around in hwclock to see if I could fix something, but MiSTer is straight up unable to detect the RTC. I also tried uninstalling the RTC module and reinstalling it, as well as taking out the battery and putting it back in, but with no luck.
There's a chance the battery that came with my RTC module is simply dead, but I have no way of testing that. I'll get another battery when I have a chance, but until then if anyone knows anything I should try let me know.

jca
Top Contributor

Re: RTC Not Working

Unread post by jca »

Try to ssh into MISTer and run rtc.sh from there.

Longtime4321

Please explain the proccess of doing that

Missus

Unread post by Missus »

You can test the battery by bridging it with your tounge along the edge.

If it tingles, its good. If you feel nothing, its dead.

That said, I would expect the system to detect the RTC and just not save. Are you certain it is seated properly?

annette

Unread post by annette »

Longtime4321 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:41 am

Please explain the proccess of doing that

Instructions I used for ssh clock setup are here

https://misterfpga.co.uk/setup-real-tim ... ster-fpga/

Longtime4321

I got the same error.

annette

Unread post by annette »

Longtime4321 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:15 pm

I got the same error.

probable faulty clock board.

Missus

Unread post by Missus »

Longtime4321 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:15 pm

I got the same error.

Are you certain it is seated correctly?
These are very simple boards, while checking the fit, inspect the RTC for any obvious issues with components or soldering.

legacypixels

Unread post by legacypixels »

Sometimes the clocks act weird if they have never been set. Try plugging a keyboard into your MiSTer, hit F9 and login to the console as root. from there try: hwclock -wu
Might get you working, if not, something is probably amiss, as Missus noted, they are very simple boards.

US based seller of MiSTer addon boards. Visit https://www.legacypixels.com/mister
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

Assuming you installed it correctly, that does indeed sound like a defective board. It should just work.

Another thing to check: do

Code: Select all

dmesg | grep rtc

Probably the last two lines should look something like this:

Code: Select all

[    0.313620] rtc-m41t80 2-0068: registered as rtc0
[    0.314778] rtc-m41t80 2-0068: setting system clock to 2023-02-12T20:04:11 UTC (1676232251)

If you don't see anything about registering as rtc0, the kernel isn't detecting the clock, either.

As an aside, getting SSH running can be very handy. Just being able to use an SSH client, like Putty, to log into the system and reboot it can be pretty handy sometimes, nevermind the other administrative stuff you can do.

There used to be scripts to turn SSH on in the base install, but I don't see any on my fresh rebuild, so I'm not sure how noobs are supposed to get that running anymore.

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

SSH is on by default. Never in my MISTer life did I had to turn it on.

0ruiner0

Unread post by 0ruiner0 »

Longtime4321 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:44 am

I just recieved an RTC module from Mister Addons. Upon installing it and running rtc.sh I am greeted with the following error:

hwclock: Use the --verbose option to see the details of our search for an access method.
    Unable to set the RTC.

I've tried dinking around in hwclock to see if I could fix something, but MiSTer is straight up unable to detect the RTC. I also tried uninstalling the RTC module and reinstalling it, as well as taking out the battery and putting it back in, but with no luck.
There's a chance the battery that came with my RTC module is simply dead, but I have no way of testing that. I'll get another battery when I have a chance, but until then if anyone knows anything I should try let me know.

You are not the only one, I got the RTC from them as well. Mine also doesn't work, I got it along with a complete mister set. I have tried everything that you tried. I also tried reseating it a few times, and still nothing. I was told by them to try a new battery. So I am waiting for that to get here. But I am glad it isn't Just me.

annette

Unread post by annette »

0ruiner0 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:34 pm

Unable to set the RTC.

You are not the only one, I got the RTC from them as well. Mine also doesn't work. I was told by them to try a new battery.

The error is nothing to do with battery i just test on my RTC you can set the time with no battery at all in the RTC.

RTC with no battery just forgets the time when you turn off the mister and reboot.

Longtime4321

Unable to set the RTC.

You are not the only one, I got the RTC from them as well. Mine also doesn't work, I got it along with a complete mister set. I have tried everything that you tried. I also tried reseating it a few times, and still nothing. I was told by them to try a new battery. So I am waiting for that to get here. But I am glad it isn't Just me.

Did you get the same error?

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Did you install the board using plastic bracket or plastic screw?
The board can easily touch the DE10-Nano or the IO board.

0ruiner0

Longtime4321 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:20 pm

Unable to set the RTC.

Did you get the same error?

Yes I did, I got all the same errors and facing all the same issues.

Longtime4321

I just noticed something interesting. There's more holes on the RTC module then there are pins on the DE-10 Nano. Is that normal?

image.png
image.png (1.21 MiB) Viewed 9179 times
image.png
image.png (1.42 MiB) Viewed 9179 times

Edit: Upon reviewing images of the DE10-Nano, that is indeed normal.

Missus

Unread post by Missus »

Well from what can be seen the components look ok.

I bought a cheapie on amazon that didnt quite fit the connector and needed to be pressed in hard. I even broke a bit of plastic around the de-10 connector because the rtc connector is not an exact fit.

That said, the module works and stays in place just fine.

Double check you are fully seating your module.

Longtime4321

I can guarantee you that I am fully seating it. I'm pressing until my thumb gets marks.

annette

Unread post by annette »

Longtime4321 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:07 pm

I can guarantee you that I am fully seating it. I'm pressing until my thumb gets marks.

Your RTC has a hardware fault, contact seller and get a replacement. Nothing to do with battery or fitment.

0ruiner0

As someone in the same boat, Wouldn't it be strange for two hardware faults from the same batch?

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

Alot of effort for something thats essentially useless. The time is set from the internet on boot anyway

annette

Unread post by annette »

0ruiner0 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:06 pm

As someone in the same boat, Wouldn't it be strange for two hardware faults from the same batch?

Not really.

Shows opposite i feel, two identical type fault from same seller of rtc board in short time space reported.

Possible bad batch of clock chips?

I do know it not battery related i tested you can set rtc time without battery it gives no error.

Missus

Unread post by Missus »

FPGA64 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:16 pm

Alot of effort for something thats essentially useless. The time is set from the internet on boot anyway

thanks for your opinion?

not everyone has their MiSTer always networked/internet connected. what would you propose those users do?

C-R-T

Unread post by C-R-T »

Can you post a clearer picture of the board? Maybe the chip or a resistor value is wrong (unlikely).

Also, really shitty behaviour of Mister Addons to put their own logo on an open source board that they didn't design.

Longtime4321

I received a replacement RTC and it works just fine.