Neo Geo CD Core

pac

Re: Neo Geo CD Core

Unread post by pac »

No need to rename. This is how my /media/fat/games/NEOGEO looks like.

Attachments
Screenshot 2023-07-05 at 10.16.17.png
Screenshot 2023-07-05 at 10.16.17.png (73.69 KiB) Viewed 5643 times
andrewkendall

Unread post by andrewkendall »

zetastrike wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:55 am

Has anyone made a mgl file for the CD yet? I made one last night but it only takes me to a black screen once I choose a CHD. Here's what it says:

<mistergamedescription>
<rbf>_Console/NeoGeo</rbf>
<setname>NeoGeo-CD</setname>
</mistergamedescription>

Should I add another line like this? I'm not at home so I can't test it atm.

<mistergamedescription>
<rbf>_Console/NeoGeo</rbf>
<setname>NeoGeo-CD</setname>
<file delay="1" type="s" index="0" path="fat/games/NeoGeo-CD/"/>
</mistergamedescription>

I have all the CD games in a folder called NeoGeo-CD in the games directory on the SD card, which is the only storage this mister has. I put each CHD in its own folder.

I was having the same issue with the black screen, your first mgl file looks good. Just make sure you have the BIOS files from https://github.com/Abdess/retroarch_sys ... oGeo%20CD/ in the same directory as the CD images.

2023-07-05_15-14-53.png
2023-07-05_15-14-53.png (437.38 KiB) Viewed 5628 times

I don't know if you need all those files, uni-bioscd.rom seemed the most important, but I went belt and braces and added them all.

Edit a few weeks later:

Turns out the belt and braces approach was a bit much, see the newer posts in this thread for the minimal set of files you need.

AmanoJacu

Unread post by AmanoJacu »

DanHero wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:33 am

Unibios setting for CDZ pressing select works great for me; only problem I get no sound during boot animation, dunno if it is normal. Classic bios delivers correct sound.

Same here, I don't get sound during boot animation, but it doesn't bother me. What "bothers" me is that the CDZ and region settings in the unibios don't save, so I have to press select each time and the console reboots itself before I can play. Some way to save it that I'm missing?

If I'm not really interested in the other unibios advantages, could I just use the regular bios and set CDZ and JP reegion in the mister options? I will give it a try.

EDIT: I copied all the bioses in both the NEOGEO folder and the subfolder were I have the CHDs, and the regular bios works, set as region JP (and with sound in the boot animation), which is saved. So it might be a better solution than the unibios if I just want a quick play, unless there is some way to save the unibios settings.

pac

Unread post by pac »

Odd - my unibios settings are saved, i.e. CDZ system selection stays. Maybe start by deleting your /media/fat/config/ files for the core.

12characters

Unread post by 12characters »

12characters wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:13 pm

I guess that the old 32MB SDRAM expansion will be sufficient for CD games, right?

I can confirm that 32MB SDRAM is sufficient for small and large CD games.

AmanoJacu

pac wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:40 am

Odd - my unibios settings are saved, i.e. CDZ system selection stays. Maybe start by deleting your /media/fat/config/ files for the core.

Thanks, I deleted all config files, and still I don't get the unibios settings saved. Oh well, I'll just configure them each time.

pbsk8

Unread post by pbsk8 »

Still can't play any games, dont know what is missing

samurai shodown rpg for example, bios shows up, then the cd player menu, I press start as it shows on screen, monkey animation loading, then bios again and I get stuck on cd player menu.

pcfreak324

Unread post by pcfreak324 »

Samurai Shodown RPG is a copy protected game. For troubleshooting, you could try another image with the copy protection removed. Search for "Neo Geo CD Copy-Protection Removed Games" on archive.org.

pbsk8

Unread post by pbsk8 »

pcfreak324 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:02 pm

Samurai Shodown RPG is a copy protected game. For troubleshooting, you could try another image with the copy protection removed. Search for "Neo Geo CD Copy-Protection Removed Games" on archive.org.

:shock:

I had no idea about this and since I have the redump verified set from myrient. It's odd because videogame esoterica made a video and usually he informs stuff like this and no mention at all.

Thanks I will try to find the other type.

pbsk8

Unread post by pbsk8 »

Still no success with samurai shodown rpg, even with the noprotection set. It shows on cd player menu "insert cd" and then nothing.

So far only ironclad runs fine (even with 4x speed it took 4min to go to title screen)

PhDTenma

Unread post by PhDTenma »

I'm experiencing a weird bug in the core: sometimes a have to set the lid as open or it won't recognize the CD... Does that happens to anybody else?

AmanoJacu

pbsk8 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:29 pm

Still no success with samurai shodown rpg, even with the noprotection set. It shows on cd player menu "insert cd" and then nothing.

So far only ironclad runs fine (even with 4x speed it took 4min to go to title screen)

I have tried Samurai Spirits RPG, both a CHD I had around and the one on archive.org (cue/bin), and they both have the same problem.

The game loads a screen with an artwork of some characters and a Japanese text (that translates to "this story is fictional"). Then an unibios error screen pops out. If I use the regular bios, the game just resets at that point.

Few other games I tried so far, all worked, but I didn't play more than 5 minutes on any.

symm

Unread post by symm »

AmanoJacu wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:33 pm

What "bothers" me is that the CDZ and region settings in the unibios don't save, so I have to press select each time and the console reboots itself before I can play. Some way to save it that I'm missing?

I had the same problem and selecting "Save Memory Card" in the core menu solved it.

AmanoJacu

symm wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:37 am
AmanoJacu wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:33 pm

What "bothers" me is that the CDZ and region settings in the unibios don't save, so I have to press select each time and the console reboots itself before I can play. Some way to save it that I'm missing?

I had the same problem and selecting "Save Memory Card" in the core menu solved it.

You are right, that was the problem, now it is saved, thanks!

Retrofan

Unread post by Retrofan »

PhDTenma wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:40 am

I'm experiencing a weird bug in the core: sometimes a have to set the lid as open or it won't recognize the CD... Does that happens to anybody else?

I had the same thing happen. I changed the mister menu system to CDZ, matching what I set in the unibios, and it went back to normal.

mario64

Unread post by mario64 »

Posting here in case Paul may see it. There is an audio issue with Sam Sho RPG.
https://twitter.com/PricePartDeux/statu ... 85216?s=20

paulbnl
Core Developer

Unread post by paulbnl »

Any way to get to that issue quickly? Save file?

mario64

Unread post by mario64 »

paulbnl wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:25 pm

Thanks Paul. I posted a request on Twitter for the author to respond to this thread with those details. If I'm not mistaken he is also the developer of the upcoming English translation, although he verified the issue using an untouched original ISO.

mario64

Unread post by mario64 »

paulbnl wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:25 pm

Steps to reproduce per Zet-sensei over on Discord:

How I've reproduce the bug - I've taken the Galford route (the blond hair guy on the far right on the selection screen.
Begin your game after 3-4 mins of talking characters.
Go south on the map, near the village and some random battle will begin.
After that battle, the music will go crazy as reported by the other user.

mario64

Unread post by mario64 »

On a related note, SSRPG doesn't seem to load at any speed above 2x. Given that, would it be possible to A) have a per-game config which sets this one game to 2x or B) for the core to have a hard code limit of 2x? That way we can leave the main setting on 4x but SSRPG would load at 2x. Just a thought :)

MoriyaMug

Unread post by MoriyaMug »

Hey, dev on the SSRPG translation here. I've encountered an audio bug on SSRPG which I can reliably reproduce.

This seems to happen every time you encounter the SECOND random battle in any given area, and does not go away without restarting, and recurs consistently.

https://twitter.com/PricePartDeux/statu ... 85216?s=20

Quickest way to get to this is to start up a game, with Ukyo for the first chapter, or any character for the second chapter. As soon as you can, leave the immediate area to get out to the overworld. Finish one battle (which should have normal audio), then walk around to get into a second one, and then the audio issue occurs.

That's my Twitter, so a reply there will be the quickest way to reach me if there are questions. Thank you, and great work so far on the core. :D

Moondandy
Top Contributor

Unread post by Moondandy »

Hey guys, can anyone please confirm what BIOS files are needed in the Neo Geo CD folder to have all the options available, and what each file actually does? I want to make sure the BIOS database has everything we would need in it so they are al grabbed by Update All and I'm confused on what is needed and what the files do.

Thanks!

Yagamisan

Unread post by Yagamisan »

Moondandy wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:18 am

Hey guys, can anyone please confirm what BIOS files are needed in the Neo Geo CD folder to have all the options available, and what each file actually does? I want to make sure the BIOS database has everything we would need in it so they are al grabbed by Update All and I'm confused on what is needed and what the files do.

Thanks!

These are the files needed in the folder

neocd.bin for CD Type:CDZ
top-sp1.bin for CD Type:CD
uni-bioscd.rom for unibios

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

If you select Original BIOS instead of UniBIOS you also need 000-lo.lo.

Yagamisan

jca wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:42 pm

If you select Original BIOS instead of UniBIOS you also need 000-lo.lo.

Yes you need that one too but only if you don't have it in the main folder NeoGeo.
No need to have it both on NeoGeo and NeoGeo-CD folder.

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Not true: I did test it and if you have it in the NeoGeo folder but not in the NeoGeo-CD folder you get messed up graphics.
Now I have to say that I use a mgl for NeoGeo-CD, I did it before the last update to main and it just happened that I chose the NeoGeo-CD name. Could this explain it?

Yagamisan

@jca maybe because you use mgl to launch it, i use the latest main stock menu.
On my side i only have the 3 files above in the NeoGeo-CD folder.

The rest of the neo geo bios is in the main folder NeoGeo and i have zero issue and can set and launch the core with any setting fine.

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Thanks. This is the reason I mentioned mgl: when starting the core as NeoGeo it knows about the NeoGeo folder, when starting the core with the mgl the "name" of the core is NeoGeo-CD so it will look into NeoGeo-CD instead of NeoGeo. In order to not duplicate the BIOS I could instead use a symlink. As I am up to date with the core and main there is not much reason of using a mgl.
I did it this way in order not to have to change settings:
For AES I use NeoGeo.
For CD I use NeoGeo-CD.
For MVS I use the unofficial arcade core from Blackwine.
With the new core switching from AES <-> CD does not require a setting change as it is automatically done by loading a ROM or a CD. I think I will drop the mgl.

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

I just double checked:
By starting the NeoGeo core directly without using a mgl the core looks for 000-lo.lo in the NeoGeo folder when the BIOS is set to original.

While I had the BIOS set to original I also tried AES mode and got a Backup Ram Error, This happens only if Memory Card is set to Plugged. This does not happen with UniBIOS.

AmanoJacu

I must say I wasn't sure if the bios were supposed to be in the NeoGeo folder, or in the folder where I have the NeoGeoCD isos (which is just a subfolder in the previous one), so I just went ahead and copied all bioses in both folders.