Genesis Core Savestates

WinterMute92

Genesis Core Savestates

Unread post by WinterMute92 »

Any plans to add subject in future updates? Like a NES core, for example.
To be honest, I did not quite understand the current "Save backup RAM", after "loading", it just reloads the game without any effect.

DoTheDonkeyKonga

Re: Genesis Core Savestates

Unread post by DoTheDonkeyKonga »

“Save backup RAM” is for when you’re using in-game saves. It writes the save to the SD card so you don’t lose it when you power off or change cores. If you’re playing any game that utilises in-game saves you must remember to select “Save backup RAM” before you stop playing or you’ll lose your save. This goes for every core too, not just Genesis.

You can turn the auto save option on which will save the backup RAM whenever the OSD is opened. You still need to remember to open the menu before you finish playing though!

Save states are something completely different. I’m not sure they’re possible on the more complex cores but I’m sure someone will correct me and/or elaborate on that if I’m wrong.

12characters

Re: Genesis Core Savestates

Unread post by 12characters »

There is only one developer who has implemented savestates, and he is busy with a new core. So it will likely not be added to the Genesis core in the near future.

With regard to saving backup RAM, just set autosave to "On". The saved data will then be written to the SD card each time you open the OSD. Of course, it is only of use to games that have SRAM saves. There are rom hacks that add SRAM saves to some games such as Kid Chameleon that originally lacked this feature.