Need a New 32" LCD (UK Supplier) What to Look For?

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
Max-fpga

Need a New 32" LCD (UK Supplier) What to Look For?

Unread post by Max-fpga »

[another old git moves from hardware gaming to MiSTer alert]

BITD I was fully up with RBG/Scart/60 hz/import gaming and did plenty of hardware mods, RGB conversions etc but have to confess the modern choice of screens leaves me baffled as much as I read.

This is purely for Mister (to replace a large console collection built up from 1990 to 2000 or so) and as much as I love my old CRTs (still got my Panasonic 21" bought new in 1990) - in this scenario it has to be an LCD due to placement, rotation for TATE etc (so please don't say 'get a CRT! ;) ).

So it has to be 32" and a commonly available 16:9 non-curved TV. I'll be building it into a unit as a rotatable screen with a custom surround to physically crop the display on show to nothing but 4:3. I will display SFC/PCE/Saturn/Neo Geo/PSX and some arcade.

So looking in the UK 'high street' (ie Currys/PC World or John Lewis etc) should I go for a 'gaming' monitor? An OLED?

I understand gaming monitors should be better in terms of lag/ghosting etc?

And do I need to watch the refresh rate, is this in any way a critical issue affecting MiSTer? - be it 60hz, 75hz, 160hz or whatever - means nothing to me, in the old days it was 50/60 and that was it.

And in a nutshell where do I start with settings on MiSTer in terms of scaling, filters, aspect ratio, resolutions etc?

Thanks guys. :D

jfceklosky

Re: Need a New 32" LCD (UK Supplier) What to Look For?

Unread post by jfceklosky »

You might want to look at these:

https://www.microcenter.com/product/638 ... ed-monitor

These even work at 15.5 khz.

Follow the thread here:

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/32938 ... works-100/

cursedverses

Re: Need a New 32" LCD (UK Supplier) What to Look For?

Unread post by cursedverses »

It may or may not help out but check out Cello Electronics. They still sell TVs up to 50" without smart functions and with hdmi/scart and component in.