Shadow Mask Support for Older Arcade Cores

toaks

Shadow Mask Support for Older Arcade Cores

Unread post by toaks »

Anyone know if there are any plans to update to older arcade cores to support shadow masks?

Moondandy
Top Contributor

Re: Shadow Mask Support for Older Arcade Cores

Unread post by Moondandy »

Correct me if I am wrong, but shadowmask support is a feature in the framework, so as the arcade cores are currently all getting their .sys updated to support composite and s-video, they ones that don't currently support shadowmasks will receive that updated as well.

macro
Core Developer

Unread post by macro »

toaks wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:13 pm

Anyone know if there are any plans to update to older arcade cores to support shadow masks?

If you list out which ones have not been done yet then someone may pick them up and update them.

Did I do something useful?

buy me a coffee
Robgus

Unread post by Robgus »

I did an update today and noticed that the latest update now has shadowmasks for the older arcade cores I tried.

I tried the DK core and it now has shadowmasks. Looks great, however the aspect ratio was different, at least for me. (The original aspect ratio setting now is smaller than before the update).

MikeS1
Core Developer

Unread post by MikeS1 »

Aspect Ratios will looks a bit different on many of the cores as they never did have the correct AR for HDMI out. Sega System 1 was a really good example of a core which had a lot of games which did not look like its arcade CRT equivalent. I typically would have used the test patterns if a core had them, or reference the CRT along side what I would expect for the active pixel window. (The MisterFPGA AR calculator was used in all cases, but I also referenced others visual cues as well)

Robgus

Unread post by Robgus »

Thanks for clarifying and for the job you did!