USB Hub Occasionally Not Working?

emuola

USB Hub Occasionally Not Working?

Unread post by emuola »

I've been running the Mister for 8 months now and it's been working really great :) I usually keep the MiSTer on 24/7. Lately there has been some weird issues with USB functionality. When I turn the CRT on and want to play something the USB sticks or the BT keyboard do not work. I then found out that if I power cycle the MiSTer, the USB (most of the time) starts working.

I have 2 arcade sticks, 2 Daemonbite adapters and one BT keyboard hooked up all the time.

Is this a normal issue/something that has been noticed before, or is my MiSTer HUB (or PSU) dying? Otherwise there are no freezes or lock-us or anything.

This is the KIT I have (warranty still applies):

https://ultimatemister.com/product/ultimate-mister-pro/

Any clues?

AngelicLiver

Re: USB Hub Occasionally Not Working?

Unread post by AngelicLiver »

Are you using the 2A or the 4A Meanwell power supply? 2A is not really sufficient for what you have plugged in.

emuola

Unread post by emuola »

AngelicLiver wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:23 am

Are you using the 2A or the 4A Meanwell power supply? 2A is not really sufficient for what you have plugged in.

It's the stock 2A one, I'll get a 4A version :) Thanks for the tip 👍

rickdangerous

Unread post by rickdangerous »

Hello emula, send me pm or ticket on site If necessary I send you a new one. We offer lifetime warranty in all our products except DE10nano.

MiSTer and FPGA Gaming European Shop
Classic MiSTer, MultiSystem, JAMMIX iTX and Official Addons.
https://ultimatemister.com powered by RetroShop.pt

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

I seem to be having a similar problem all of a sudden. I'm using a 5A Meanwell power supply and a MiSTer USB 1.2 board. When I turn it on, my DS4 controller doesn't light up and my TTY2OLED only shows its boot screen. Later on the TTY2OLED will show some random characters.

When I pull the power out of the hub and put it back in, it will work fine after that. Is this a problem others have been experiencing? I suppose this has to be a hardware problem.

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

You also have this IP problem. How do you power the MISTer and the hub? Are you using a splitter? Do you have a switch on the 5V?

Fallon

Unread post by Fallon »

When I first got my Mister, there was no problem with my OTG hub and attached devices, start Mister, everything recognized.

Around 1.5 years ago-ish, there was a linux update and I've had the same issues ever since. I need to reset Mister to get my keyboard and usb controller recognised. I posted an issue on Github, Sorgelig replied and bascially said there was nothing that could be done to resolve the issue.

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

jca wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:08 pm

You also have this IP problem. How do you power the MISTer and the hub? Are you using a splitter? Do you have a switch on the 5V?

Yes, not sure if that problem started at the same time, but maybe they are related. I use a splitter (2x round plug) with my 5A meanwell power supply and switch at the 230 volt. I was using a WiFi-controlled switch and changed to my manual 230 volt switch to see if this would help, but it didn't make a difference.

Fallon wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:46 am

When I first got my Mister, there was no problem with my OTG hub and attached devices, start Mister, everything recognized.

Around 1.5 years ago-ish, there was a linux update and I've had the same issues ever since. I need to reset Mister to get my keyboard and usb controller recognised. I posted an issue on Github, Sorgelig replied and bascially said there was nothing that could be done to resolve the issue.

That is really odd. Have you tried reinstalling the SD card with MiSTer Fusion? That is one of the options I'm considering, maybe some file got corrupted.

bahhhh

Unread post by bahhhh »

Same problem happening here too, I'm reinstalling mister fusion, I hope it's works.

rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

Carefully check the power pins on the USB board (if from rickdangerous) and make sure they are making good contact with the DE-10. If they move about over time, the USB ports will start working intermittently or not at all due to loss of 5V.