HDMI Display Not Centered

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
MrChatouille

HDMI Display Not Centered

Unread post by MrChatouille »

Hello,

I use my mister to play and record some game sessions.

One thing bothers me a lot, the display is always centered, which always takes me some time to adjust the recording to remove the two black bars on the left and right. I think it would be easier for me to have the display in the upper left corner, which would allow me to easily crop the black part of the screen.

Is this possible by changing configuration options?

Thanks a lot

AngelicLiver

Re: HDMI Display Not Centered

Unread post by AngelicLiver »

Could you explain how you are capturing footage? It is pretty trivial to capture 4:3 straight into OBS cropping from a 16:9 container and failing that, applications like handbrake have very reliable automatic cropping features if you want to do it in post.

You could output in a native 4:3 and let your display/scaler handle the justification but I'm not aware of it being possible using the MiSTer's scaler.

MrChatouille

I am using a elgato Game Capture HD60 S+ with OBS.

For example, if I want to capture "the lucky dime caper" on a master system, using a scale of 4x with a pixel ratio of 1:1, I must then crop the final image with top=60, right=230, bottom=60, left=276 which is fine because I already know the values.
But for other systems, especially Arcade, I have to deduce the correct values and it's a bit too tedious for me and especially far too unreliable.

In the case of the master system, here is my input

65sWNPx.png
65sWNPx.png (92.35 KiB) Viewed 844 times

And this is what I think is best for me

UlramSG.png
UlramSG.png (90.53 KiB) Viewed 844 times

I think that the centered display is not magic and that calculations are done to center the display, and I was hoping that there was a parameter to change this behavior.

AngelicLiver

Unread post by AngelicLiver »

You can crop sources directly in the preview window, just hold alt and drag the corners of the source. You can then left-click drag the source where ever you'd like in the scene. Then just create new scenes for consoles with alternative aspect ratios? You can go the filters route but as you've mentioned, it's a bit tedious to dial-in.

There may be a plugin that auto-crops sources but this shouldn't be all too laborious a process? Once it's setup you needn't do it again.

lsnderick

Unread post by lsnderick »

I'd suggest just using "Interpolation (Sharp).txt" filter for every core globally. Instead of integer scaling. You will probably not see any difference in quality, but every game will be scaled to the same size (when using the "normal" as the setting in each core).

MrChatouille

Thanks to you two, I have a better understanding of the filters and the mister configuration.
I now use a filter and auto-crop feature in my video editing software and it works great.