Chrono Quest Monitor Resyncs Changing Screen

misterious

Chrono Quest Monitor Resyncs Changing Screen

Unread post by misterious »

I just installed megaAGS and started playing this game. The problem is every time the scene changes, the screen flickers and the monitor resyncs with the amiga screen that resizes and the resolution gets displayed by mister .
I'm using a freesync monitor (forced freesync option with monitor that matches core freq)

Is this the normal behaviour for a game that perhaps tries to initialize the screen everytime the page changes completely? Can anyone reproduce this issue? Any idea on how to mitigate it?

thanks

Chris23235
Top Contributor

Re: Chrono Quest Monitor Resyncs Changing Screen

Unread post by Chris23235 »

The Amiga uses a lot of different resolutions and some games switched between different screen modes and resolutions quite often. On a RGB-CRT this switch in resolutions happened almost on the fly. With modern TFT-Displays these resyncs take some time. The MiSTer showing the new resolution is the intended behavior.

Optiroc

Unread post by Optiroc »

What vsync_adjust setting do you use? 2 can be quite bothersome for Amiga on many displays. 1 makes all the screen mode transitions much smoother, at least on my LG OLED.

misterious

Chris23235 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:24 am

With modern TFT-Displays these resyncs take some time. The MiSTer showing the new resolution is the intended behavior.

makes sense, thanks

misterious

Optiroc wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:14 pm

What vsync_adjust setting do you use?

as I said vsync_adjust=1 with forced freesync , I've a 2k dell monitor and the setting allows a super smooth scrolling

I'm super satisfied with the core, it's just this specific game that is very annoying buy playable after all

FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

I'm not super familiar with this game but moved around a few screens and never saw a desync. Using a C1 with freesync and vsync_adjust=2 @ 1080p.

misterious

FoxbatStargazer wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:29 pm

I'm not super familiar with this game but moved around a few screens and never saw a desync. Using a C1 with freesync and vsync_adjust=2 @ 1080p.

when the screen changes, the transition is stable like in the video below

https://invidious.snopyta.org/watch?v=4RZhynxUzg0

or it flickers?

I tried but nothing changed, I ended up inserting

video_info=0

in the Minimig section of Mister.ini , so at least I don't get the frequency and resolution information all the time :D
now it's (almost) ok

FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

When I move between the first few rooms in the game there is zero visible transition, just like in the video, it just pauses staring at the current screen, and eventually the next screen is immediately shown.

I mentioned 1080p because I have a feeling you may get different results with other resolutions. Mega-AGS is well configured for 1080p, being 5x cut for NTSC and 4x cut for some PAL games, so when integer scaled it fills from top to bottom either way. You may get different results with other resolutions.

misterious

the fact is I've followed the recommended setup (plus my stuff) in MiSTer.ini so I have

[Minimig]
video_mode_ntsc=8
video_mode_pal=9
vsync_adjust=2
video_info=0
vrr_mode=2
custom_aspect_ratio_1=40:27

I've tried different video_mode(s) but nothing changes so I don't really know what's going on other than is something monitor related

thanks

FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

It shouldn't matter but I'm not using separate ntsc/pal video modes (just video_mode=1920,1080,60). 8 and 9 are not equivalent, 9 has much larger blanking for compatibility purposes.

limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

FoxbatStargazer wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:10 pm

It shouldn't matter but I'm not using separate ntsc/pal video modes (just video_mode=1920,1080,60). 8 and 9 are not equivalent, 9 has much larger blanking for compatibility purposes.

Not having dedicated NTSC and PAL settings for the Amiga core is known to break scrolling on a bunch of games and demos, at least it does on my LG OLED (I think it’s a B9). That’s why we recommend separate PAL and NTSC definitions instead of the auto-fallback in MegaAGS.

But maybe video_mode=1920,1080,50 for the PAL definition improves things? I’m traveling, so I can’t really test it right now.

FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Oh believe me I have seen mode 9 fix a number of Sonys but it was just something to try on this one game for troubleshooting purposes. LG C1 seems fine without since the freesync update at least.