Incompatible Case Button Spacers & IO Board?

maze

Incompatible Case Button Spacers & IO Board?

Unread post by maze »

Hi everyone. I bought the digital IO board from ultimatemister.com and the acrylic case from misterfpga.co.uk. I mixed and matched sellers because I wanted the Noctua fan option for the IO board, and I thought the acrylic case was a nice balance of design and price. Unfortunately mixing these seems to have created a problem for me.

The issue is that the user buttons on the IO board and the 3D-printed button spacers that came with the case are each too tall to work with each other. (Specifically, the buttons on my IO board are much taller than pictured on their site.) If I leave the spacers out, I can fit the top plate of the acrylic case on normally. But if I try to install the spacers, the top plate simply can't settle down nearly far enough to close all the way.

So, is this a known factor, that different sellers use different height buttons than each other in their IO board builds?

In any case, I'm wondering what is the best solution to my dilemma now. Does ultimatemister make shorter button spacers to work with the taller buttons on their IO boards? If I arrange to buy their spacers separately, will their spacers fit with my misterfpga.co.uk case? Or do ultimatemister cases use different size holes in the top that would make their spacers incompatible with my case...?

Any advice and suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

12characters

Re: Incompatible Case Button Spacers & IO Board?

Unread post by 12characters »

I do not think that ultimatemister sell button spacers. The case that I bought from them does not use such spacers. Instead it has a separate set of buttons on the top plate that are connected to the 5 pin header on the io board.

Have you considered manually trimming the height of the spacers that you have?

maze

Unread post by maze »

12characters wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:50 am

I do not think that ultimatemister sell button spacers. The case that I bought from them does not use such spacers. Instead it has a separate set of buttons on the top plate that are connected to the 5 pin header on the io board.

I didn't realize, good to know.

12characters wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:50 am

Have you considered manually trimming the height of the spacers that you have?

Yes, was thinking of it. I wonder what is the best tool for the job. I guess I can try filing them down?

Nat

Unread post by Nat »

You can easily cut down the buttons included with the acrylic case to work with any IO board using different height pop switches. All you need is a sharp thin blade such as an exacto knife, and cut to size as required, you will see the buttons were designed to cut easily you will not need much pressure, it will leave a straight edge and can be then fitted without issue.

cut-buttons.jpg
cut-buttons.jpg (138.89 KiB) Viewed 2964 times
MiSTer FPGA Add-On Boards : UK based, low cost worldwide shipping.
https://MiSTerFPGA.co.uk/
maze

Unread post by maze »

Thank you Nat, that's perfect. I will try cutting them. Appreciate the help.