Game Mode

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
keith.f.kelly

Game Mode

Unread post by keith.f.kelly »

I updated MiSTer today after months of not using it. My Vizio P65QX-H1 4K LCD TV has also seen some firmware updates during that time.

Now, every time MiSTer switches video modes, my TV's "Game Mode" re-enables itself. This happens even when MiSTer returns to a video mode it has previously used and for which I've previously disabled "Game Mode". For example, if I load up a core, go into my TV's settings and disable "Game Mode" (i.e. switch it from "On" to "Auto"), then reload the same core, "Game Mode" gets re-enabled. On this TV, "Game Mode" (contrary to its name) is actually worse for gaming because it introduces significant motion judder, so I need it to remain disabled.

I've already ensured that

Code: Select all

vrr_mode=0

and

Code: Select all

hdmi_game_mode=0

are set in my MiSTer.ini.

My TV doesn't do this with any other game console or device I have connected to it (Xbox360, Xbox One S, PS4 Pro, PS5, Raspberry Pi, PC), so that makes me suspect a MiSTer bug as the cause. Also, all devices are run through the same AVR which then outputs to a single HDMI 2.1 port on the TV, so this is not caused by different HDMI ports having different settings.

Any other Vizio 4K LCD owners out there encountering this with MiSTer? Anyone know if this is a defect introduced sometime during the last few months, perhaps when all the VRR stuff got added? Any other troubleshooting ideas for me?