VRR on OLED Issues

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
Escape-To-88

VRR on OLED Issues

Unread post by Escape-To-88 »

Recently picked up a MisterCade which is fab and works brilliantly in my CRT cabs. Having had a MiSTer in my living room on my LG OLED for console stuff previously I thought I'd try it with VRR for correct refresh rates on odd games/cores. When I select any VRR option in the ini menu it either doesn't display or goes crazy. VRR works fine on the 30x series of GPUs on my laptop and also fine with a Series X and PS5.

How are people getting the MiSTer to correctly output the correct framerate for each system on VRR compatible TVs? If I spam the green button it reports a fixed rate not 'VRR' as it does with everything else. Any more info on this would be great. Thanks.

FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Re: VRR on OLED Issues

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

vrr_mode=2 works for me on the LG C1. Also be sure you go in game optomizer on the TV and flip on freesync.

vrr_mode=3 might work too but I haven't tried. You would need forum vrr/g-sync turned on in game optomizer for that.

Escape-To-88

Unread post by Escape-To-88 »

FoxbatStargazer wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:26 am

vrr_mode=2 works for me on the LG C1. Also be sure you go in game optomizer on the TV and flip on freesync.

vrr_mode=3 might work too but I haven't tried. You would need forum vrr/g-sync turned on in game optomizer for that.

Yup that did it! Cheers. Only time I've had to actually turns freesync premium on manually as every other piece of hardware works without it on, hence mt confusion!

FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

I wonder if thats ALLM flipping the TV's VRR switch on other devices? I thought I had to turn it on manually for my 2060...

DrewBA77

Unread post by DrewBA77 »

Hey, can I ask, what benefits does VRR have on the MiSTer? I have a Gigabyte M27Q X, which has freesync premium, but I had the same issues as you trying to get VRR working on it with my MiSTer. I'd love to be able to play GBA without having to enable framebuffer (keep it in low latency mode).

FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

On my C1 I had trouble with refreshes above 60hz before the VRR update. For example if you want to play wonderswan in its original 75hz with smooth scrolling. The TV would just drop frames before, now it displays them in full.

zetastrike

Unread post by zetastrike »

I've run into an issue with my C1 in the past week or so. I have VRR set to 2 and HDMI game mode set to 1 and everything worked great until the past couple weeks. The Mister will display on the TV when I turn it on and when I launch the first core, but upon reboot via the OSD or the button I don't get any picture on the screen, it just reverts to the LG's picture frame screen saver. When I open the game optimizer it says 30fps which it doesn't say when there is a picture on the menu core (normally it's 59fps) and it the VRR says it's in Freesync mode. There are also rare instances where it will display upon reboot, but there's a very thin line of garbled colors at the bottom edge of the screen.

FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Just tried after an update with my C1 and I see no issues with freesync. My menu core is in 1080p SDR I don't know if that matters. I should note due to past sync problems I've seen with this TV (not blackscreen but rather wobbly/wavy lines) , I don't use video_mode=8. Instead I spell it out using standard cvt-rb timings:

Code: Select all

video_mode=1920,1080,60