Guncon 3 Accuracy

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
aapuzzo

Guncon 3 Accuracy

Unread post by aapuzzo »

I picked up a guncon 3 and made my own light emitters that seem to be working well. I tested it with the Gangstertown on the Sega master system and I am having trouble making it 100% accurate. Left and right seems fairly accurate but Vertical height goes off just a tiny hair from top to bottom of the screen. If I play using the crosshairs I would never even notice but if I use the sight like a real gun it's enough to just miss. Is this just the best I can hope for with this? I wanted to turn the crosshair off like you would have on a SMS. If I was comparing to a wiimote its is as good or better. A wii was never 100% accurate and you would always have crosshairs on.

peke

Re: Guncon 3 Accuracy

Unread post by peke »

I made a post with guncon 2 and master system core,. I test nes core and was correct but with master system I get an erratic aim movement....maybe is the core itself.

never get a reply

=(

aapuzzo

Unread post by aapuzzo »

Thanks for the reply I'll try some other cores and report back.

Sterbi

Unread post by Sterbi »

I didn't try SMS core yet, but I was having similar issues with Genesis/MegaCD core. When I calibrated GunCon according to instructions, accuracy's getting worse near edge of the screen. As a workaround, I played around with calibration and when asked to aim at edge of screen i was aiming lower/higher than that to get it calibrated to acceptable levels.

aapuzzo

Unread post by aapuzzo »

Just tested with Sega CD and I was able to get it pretty close the way you described aiming off the screen a little. Honestly I think this can be corrected with software if 2 option. One for x y offset and another that acts as a sensitivity. Imagine being able to add an offset in each direction.
Next a sensitivity option can be added for the x and y axis that is applied either linear or as a curve. This would account for how much it goes off the further from center the center of the screen. You can calibrate 50 times and never get perfect results. A trim setting can fix this so easy.

Sterbi

Unread post by Sterbi »

Good thing is, if you are able to perfect calibration in Sega CD core, you can just copy configuration file to Genesis core, and maybe also to SMS core if the issue is same in it.

aapuzzo

Unread post by aapuzzo »

Ok I finally got decent accuracy. First off i was using a curved panel 65" tv. This wasn't actually the full issue as my accuracy was off more vertically than horizontally. I went a bought a new 85" TV and had the same issue vertically but horizontal was better. The bigger the tv the further you have to backup for accuracy and my DIY emitters were not putting out enough power. I noticed the red led on the guncon 3 should always be lit when getting a good signal. The DIY plans say use 6 850nm IR diods but don't tell you how big. The ones I purchased were 3mm but tried again with 5mm diods and used a 20k resister instead of 22k. Now I can back up to the full extent of the USB cable on the guncon 3 and the red LED doesn't go out when before it would not let me use the full length of the USB cable. I may even be able to use an extender and back up further. Now when calibrating I just had to aim low on the bottom calibration point and all is good. I was even playing gangster town on sms with the crosshairs off. Somebody should update the DIY guide for the IR emitters to specify 5mm diods as this seems to be important.

FYI I placed my emitters on the edges of the 85" tv. I haven't messed around with other spacings yet.