Nintendo 64 Switch controller support?

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
PhDTenma

Nintendo 64 Switch controller support?

Unread post by PhDTenma »

So I know we don't have a core for N64 and that we are not many fans of the controller but I was wondering how good could work the Nintendo 64 controller on the Saturn core for those games with analog input (you get the analog stick, 6 face buttons and and R-L) but seems that the mister doesn't recognise this controller...

Anyone has tried connecting it?

Thanks!

Newsdee
Top Contributor

Re: Nintendo 64 Switch controller support?

Unread post by Newsdee »

Joycons work with MiSTer so assuming its the same bluetooth protocol, it should work too.

FPGAzumSpass
Core Developer

Unread post by FPGAzumSpass »

It has a USB-C, can that be used to connect it like with a PS5 pad or only for loading?

I have a third party USB N64 controller i use for 3D platformers on the PSX, but the quality is bad, especially the dpad which has ghost pressed of up and down when you press right,
so i would be more than happy to switch to a better quality one.

PhDTenma

Newsdee wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:18 am

Joycons work with MiSTer so assuming its the same bluetooth protocol, it should work too.

I haven't tried via bluetooth but later I will and report how well that works!

FPGAzumSpass wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:21 pm

It has a USB-C, can that be used to connect it like with a PS5 pad or only for loading?

As far as I know the usb-c is also for connecting because you can connect the controller via cable to the switch dock. The SNES switch controller works flawlessly in MiSTer with usb-c, for example. I don't know how to make a configuration file for a controller (shouldn't be very different that one for the pro-controller or the snes... I guess)

FPGAzumSpass
Core Developer

Unread post by FPGAzumSpass »

Just realized it's already sold out and only available for double price :(

PhDTenma

FPGAzumSpass wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:02 pm

Just realized it's already sold out and only available for double price :(

Yeah, Nintendo is producing very few units. And they release them once a year or so :( They really don't get which products we want to buy

BTW, I have tested the controller via cable with the switch in airplane mode and, yes, it connects. So, yes, the usb-c transmits data too.

Also I can confirm that via the 8bitdo bluetooth dongle the controller works fine in the MiSTer, but not when connected via cable.

PistolsAtDawn

Unread post by PistolsAtDawn »

I finally managed to snag one of these at MSRP by keeping my eye on the Nintendo Switch subreddit. Some kind redditor posted about them being back in stock, and miraculously I was able to purchase a month of Switch Online (required for purchase) for $3 and order two of them. I gave one to my brother for Christmas. It only took a year and a half of trying! They're usually in stock a few times a year, but they go FAST.

There are other wireless controllers with the N64 button layout but with more modern design. Those are probably better because the analog stick on the Nintendo ones are the same unreliable plastic as the 1996 controllers. One round of Mario Party and they're toast!

16Bittt

Unread post by 16Bittt »

I had lots of connection issues with both Nintendo Switch Online SNES and Sega Genesis controllers,so I got rid of them.
for the N64,Retro-Bit made a 2.4Ghz N64 pad based on the sought-after and well-regarded Hori N64 pad.(many liked it much better than the original N64 back in the day).I'd go for that instead.mainly because of 2.4Ghz reliable connection but also for better form factor and ergonomics.