AmigaVision/MegaAGS 2023.04.05 Released!

bazza_12
Top Contributor

Re: AmigaVision/MegaAGS 2023.04.05 Released!

Unread post by bazza_12 »

limi wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:00 pm
bazza_12 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:25 pm

Edit s:user-startup and comment out the line that mounts the shared drive, then I’m pretty sure it should work.

yeah that did it.. nice one. cheers..

The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
bazza_12
Top Contributor

Unread post by bazza_12 »

limi wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:00 pm

Edit s:user-startup and comment out the line that mounts the shared drive, then I’m pretty sure it should work.

yeah that did it.. nice one. cheers..

The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

This collection is amazing! I really like the curation across different kind of criteria, it helps a lot to find something fun to play.

Just a small comment - "Lorna" is not a French game but Spanish... maybe a section can be added for Spanish-made games?
(Dinamic, Opera Soft, Topo Soft, Zigurat, etc - not all are good but it's a specific style).

Insert Disk Two

Unread post by Insert Disk Two »

Insert Disk Two

limi wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:44 pm

No, it’s not made for non-AGA Amigas. It would be possible to make the script create configurations only for OCS/ECS, but it hasn’t been something we have prioritized so far.

@limi so I wrote the hdf file as an image to my real A1200 hdd. On boot it gives me:

Please insert a volume containing Libs/icon.library in any drive

After pressing cancel several times I get a yellow recoverable alert and starts asking for the file in question again.

And idea what could be wrong? Thanks!

limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

Newsdee wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:21 pm

Just a small comment - "Lorna" is not a French game but Spanish... maybe a section can be added for Spanish-made games?
(Dinamic, Opera Soft, Topo Soft, Zigurat, etc - not all are good but it's a specific style).

We could absolutely do that, and there’s bound to be some errors in the metadata we scrape (with permission) from various web sites. Since you seem to know a bit on the subject, would you mind filing a ticket at https://amiga.vision with any corrections and a list of the developers or games you would include?

limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

Insert Disk Two wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:59 pm

@limi so I wrote the hdf file as an image to my real A1200 hdd. On boot it gives me:

My personal build does contain icon.library — have you checked if it’s there, and/or trying to replace the file in case it is corrupted?

Not uncommon to have corrupted HDFs when downloading from the internet or writing to a real drive, so see if you can double check the MD5 hash to at least make sure it’s the same image in both locations.

Also, if anyone would be willing to help us with documentation for how to write an AmigaVision image to a CF/SD card on real hardware, I’d appreciate it — I don’t have access to my real Amigas for a few months, and it would be great to have this included in the installation instructions.

Insert Disk Two

Insert Disk Two

limi wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:15 pm
Insert Disk Two wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:59 pm

My personal build does contain icon.library — have you checked if it’s there, and/or trying to replace the file in case it is corrupted?

Not uncommon to have corrupted HDFs when downloading from the internet or writing to a real drive, so see if you can double check the MD5 hash to at least make sure it’s the same image in both locations.

Also, if anyone would be willing to help us with documentation for how to write an AmigaVision image to a CF/SD card on real hardware, I’d appreciate it — I don’t have access to my real Amigas for a few months, and it would be great to have this included in the installation instructions.

So I took the exact same SD Card, inserted in my PC and setup WInUAE to read the SD card as an A1200 hard drive. It worked out of the box. No issues.
I am using Kickstart ROM as distributed in the AGS torrent.

Then I replaced the Kickstart with version 3.2, on the emulator, and the same exact problem happens in WinUAE:

Optiroc

Unread post by Optiroc »

No, it’s not made for non-AGA Amigas. It would be possible to make the script create configurations only for OCS/ECS, but it hasn’t been something we have prioritized so far.

Actually there was support for creating an OCS version of the image early on. :)

But the result really was too slow to be enjoyable.

limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

Insert Disk Two wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:24 pm

So I took the exact same SD Card, inserted in my PC and setup WInUAE to read the SD card as an A1200 hard drive. It worked out of the box. No issues.
On my A1200 I have 3.2.

Yeah, I just realized you were the one asking about 3.2 earlier. Probably best to install Workbench 3.2 on top of the image then, since they seem to have made Kickstart 3.2 incompatible with Workbench 3.1. Sigh. Really not a fan of the lack of quality control in the “modern” releases (and don’t get me started on the 3.9/4.1 mess) 😜

Insert Disk Two

limi wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:30 pm
Insert Disk Two wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:24 pm

On my A1200 I have 3.2.

Yeah, I just realized you were the one asking about 3.2 earlier. Probably best to install Workbench 3.2 on top of the image then, since they seem to have made Kickstart 3.2 incompatible with Workbench 3.1. Sigh. Really not a fan of the lack of quality control in the “modern” releases (and don’t get me started on the 3.9/4.1 mess) 😜

I just edited my previous post. What is the exact issue here? WB3.1 not compatible with KS3.2?

Edit: Yeah seems like it :(

limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

No, the other way around — Kickstart 3.2 not compatible with Workbench 3.1 ;)

I assume they either didn’t do proper testing, or decided that the effort to gracefully handle their new icon changes were not worth doing. You could try replacing the icon.library with the one from 3.2, but I suspect you need to do a full Workbench install to make it work. Make a backup of startup-sequence and user-startup to make sure they don’t get killed by the upgrade.

Insert Disk Two

limi wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:39 pm

No, the other way around — Kickstart 3.2 not compatible with Workbench 3.1 ;)

They either didn’t do a proper job testing, or decided that the effort to gracefully handle their new icon changes were not worth doing. You could try replacing the icon.library with the one from 3.2, but I suspect you need to do a full Workbench install to make it work.

This is not going to work. I just upgraded the image to Workbench 3.2, only to be greeted with this:

qtljtyn.png
qtljtyn.png (31.34 KiB) Viewed 64 times

I will try replacing icon.library next.

limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

They broke NIL:? Oh my. That’s going to break a lot of old software.

Anyway, if you remove RTPatch from the startup, it could potentially be working well enough if you’re willing to dismiss that NIL: requester.

Insert Disk Two

limi wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:49 pm

They broke NIL:? Oh my. That’s going to break a lot of old software.

Anyway, if you remove RTPatch from the startup, it could potentially be working well enough if you’re willing to dismiss that NIL: requester.

Update:

I replaced icon.library and workbench.library on AGS with the ones that come with Workbench 3.2... and it worked :)

No more complaints, even WB loads fine!

Insert Disk Two

limi wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:15 pm

Also, if anyone would be willing to help us with documentation for how to write an AmigaVision image to a CF/SD card on real hardware

I just rename the .hdf to .iso on Windows and write it to SD/CF with Balena Etcher.

limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

Insert Disk Two wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:00 pm

I replaced icon.library and workbench.library on AGS with the ones that come with Workbench 3.2... and it worked :)

Great! Added a note of that to the documentation:

https://amiga.vision/docs#does-amigavis ... ckstart-32

And thanks for the tip about BalenaEtcher, I guess I thought it would be more complicated, but that’s probably only the case if you want more partitions? I assume you don’t get the Saves: partition as part of the setup if you do that.

Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

limi wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:12 pm

We could absolutely do that, and there’s bound to be some errors in the metadata we scrape (with permission) from various web sites. Since you seem to know a bit on the subject, would you mind filing a ticket at https://amiga.vision with any corrections and a list of the developers or games you would include?

Sure. Where did you get the French Touch list? I can see which criteria they used and apply similar ones to others.

limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

Newsdee wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:45 am

Sure. Where did you get the French Touch list? I can see which criteria they used and apply similar ones to others.

Likely that Optiroc sat down with a drink one day and listed what he thought were good examples of the style 😄

The top and curated lists usually have a YouTube video or magazine article associated with them, but a lot of the other categories are highly subjective and made just to make it a bit more fun to explore the game library based on various perspectives.

DoubleA

Unread post by DoubleA »

Optiroc wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:26 pm

Actually there was support for creating an OCS version of the image early on. :)

But the result really was too slow to be enjoyable.

Well, that may be true for a A500 with a 7.1 MHz 68k CPU and 512 kB Ram.
But loads of OCS/ECS machines out there are way faster. Mine for example leave every standard A1200 easily in the dust :-)

Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

limi wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:20 am

a lot of the other categories are highly subjective and made just to make it a bit more fun to explore the game library based on various perspectives.

that's totally fine... and I like the appoach. Mostly i was asking to keep the same "spirit" of selection. Would you guys prefer highlights or a more complete list?

Insert Disk Two

limi wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:14 pm
Insert Disk Two wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:00 pm

Great! Added a note of that to the documentation:

https://amiga.vision/docs#does-amigavis ... ckstart-32

And thanks for the tip about BalenaEtcher, I guess I thought it would be more complicated, but that’s probably only the case if you want more partitions? I assume you don’t get the Saves: partition as part of the setup if you do that.

You are right, I don't get the saves partition. Will this mean games won't save?

limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

Newsdee wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:22 am

that's totally fine... and I like the appoach. Mostly i was asking to keep the same "spirit" of selection. Would you guys prefer highlights or a more complete list?

I think a “notable” list (influential, good, or legendarily bad) would be good, I’m sure if we list everything from Spain, it would be a long list. If there’s a particular style or type of game that was common, that would be cool thing to document.

limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

Insert Disk Two wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:32 am

You are right, I don't get the saves partition. Will this mean games won't save?

Games will save to the AmigaVision/MegaAGS partition if it can’t find the Saves: partition, but you’d have to take care to copy them off the image before upgrading to a new version if you want to keep your save files.

CRTified

Unread post by CRTified »

Please help me to run MegaAGS!

I am a MiSTer user, new to MegaAGS. I tried to install AmigaVision/MegaAGS 23.04.05 on the MiSTer, sourced from archive org, and following the Setup instructions at amiga.vision/docs. I have copied the specified list of MegaAGS directories to the Mister SD card, it is about 8GB of content. And I have edited mister.ini with the added lines, as instructed.

It seems good at first. The MiSTer menu now shows cores "Amiga, Amiga500". So I load the Amiga core. It goes only to the Workbench screen. There is a MegaAGS icon to the right. I click it to run - it gives error message:

Request
Please insert volume
AGS
in any drive
Retry/Assign.../Mount/Deny/Cancel

I figured out, after some trying, to choose "Assign..." / "Parent" / "AGS2" folder / "Assign" - then I finally see the MegaAGS menu, with lists of content to navigate. Such as: "About / Hall of Fame / Charts / ..... etc". Games show up in the lists, with screenshots, and details.

BUT when I try to run a content, a game, or anything, from these lists, it then says:

Request
Please insert volume
WHD
in any drive
Retry/Assign.../Mount/Deny/Cancel

And I have no idea what to do from there. :( Can anyone help get this working please?? I thought setup instructions were simple, and I followed them exactly, but maybe ... not ?? Which silly thing have I done?

Many thanks.

limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

This sounds like a corrupted image. It’s more common than you think between downloading images off the internet + possibly transferring the image over your network + writing to an SD card (which very commonly have issues). This should not be happening unless the image you downloaded was created faulty, was corrupted on download, or you did something to the Amiga side of things (that last thing seems unlikely based on your description).

The image should boot directly into a games and demo launcher, not Workbench.

I would try a fresh download, write directly to the card instead of using the network (a common thing is that people are using shitty FTP clients like FileZilla, or have an unstable SMB network with packet loss), and try a different SD card if you have one. Sorry to hear you’re having problems, these things aren’t fun to troubleshoot because there are so many variables.

(Any more detail on how you got the image onto MiSTer is also helpful for us to figure out what might be going on)

CRTified

Unread post by CRTified »

Thank you limi, you were right. When I checked the copied files on the SD card, not all was present - something must have gone wrong in the copy. I re-did it as you suggested, and now all is well.

And it is quite mindblowing, this is really great.

limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

Great! Glad you figured it out.

limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

CRTified wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:06 am

Thank you limi, you were right. When I checked the copied files on the SD card, not all was present - something must have gone wrong in the copy. I re-did it as you suggested, and now all is well.

Added a troubleshooting section to the documentation on how to verify that the HDF made it over to the MiSTer intact:

https://amiga.vision/docs#troubleshooting