SNES Cheats

gct

SNES Cheats

Unread post by gct »

I'm trying to enable cheats on the SNES core, and it looks like the file is there (for Super Mario World in particular), but the menu item is grayed out in the OSD. Does anyone know how I can debug?

12characters

Re: SNES Cheats

Unread post by 12characters »

Check that the path (directory and file name) is correct, see https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Wiki_Mi ... gine#setup.

Do you use some special setup such as zipped rom files or external usb storage?

gct

Unread post by gct »

The cheats are definitely there. The folder is named Cheats though, not cheats, think that matters? No special setup they were installed when I got it.

12characters

If you want to debug, the first step is to narrow down the problem. Is it a general problem for all cores? ...or specific to SNES? ...or specific to Super Mario World?

Retro-Nerd

Unread post by Retro-Nerd »

Make sure you use the No-Intro roms, they should fit. Unless you use some hacked/translated roms with different names. Then you have manually match the rom and cheat file names.

KremlingKuthroat19

Unread post by KremlingKuthroat19 »

gct wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:31 am

I'm trying to enable cheats on the SNES core, and it looks like the file is there (for Super Mario World in particular), but the menu item is grayed out in the OSD. Does anyone know how I can debug?

Make sure the rom file matches the name of the cheat zip folder if it doesn’t work. If the two don’t match, either rename the zip or rom file to match the other. See if that works

gct

Unread post by gct »

So Super Mario World doesn't have the option unlocked, but Contra 3 does. I went in and changed the cheat filename to match the super mario rom name and CRC but no dice :(

12characters

gct wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:34 pm

So Super Mario World doesn't have the option unlocked, but Contra 3 does. I went in and changed the cheat filename to match the super mario rom name and CRC but no dice :(

So then one only needs to figure out how Super Mario World differs from the other SNES games. Does the name perhaps contain some special or hidden character? I suggest to manually rename both the cheat archive and the rom file to make sure.

Retro-Nerd

Unread post by Retro-Nerd »

The rom from the No-Intro Set = Super Mario World (USA).sfc
The MiSTER cheat zip name = Super Mario World (USA) [B19ED489].zip

So, it perfectly fits. The CRC chechsum in the cheat.zips square bracket is exactly the same as from the No-Intro rom. No-Intro rom+cheatfile names are always a match. Unless you use hacked/translated stuff, as i said before.

edit: If you use the PAL version (not recommend anyway), them manually change both file names to an identical name. This works too, i've tried that. But it could be that the cheats aren't 100% compatible then.

gct

Unread post by gct »

OK, downloading a new ROM file that matches that CRC fixes the issue. Thank you very much!