HDMI Multi Output

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
kerdou

HDMI Multi Output

Unread post by kerdou »

I don't have my DE-10 yet but it should come anytime soon now, meanwhile I'm trying to prepare things as much as I can.

Here is my video setup:

• Desktop main: 1440p 144hz G-Sync in horizontal mode

• Desktop secondary: 1440p 60hz in vertical mode

• TV: 1080p 60hz

Those are all connected to my PC but I would also like them all to be connected to my Mister, ideally working at their native resolutions. Of course, I don't want to use them all at the same time. I just want to be able to switch from one to another depending on what I'll do with the Mister.

In order to test things out I bought a 4 outputs HDMI splitter that I connect to my barebone web server running Linux/Ubuntu. Since my TV has the lowest resolution, it takes priority and the splitter gives a 1080p 60hz image.

Here are the results:

• Desktop main: The screen UI shows it's working at 1080p 60hz but it displays a black screen

• Desktop secondary: Everything's OK

• TV: Everything's OK too

I'm wondering if I have an HDCP issue with my main desktop screen. Does the DE-10 generates HDCP or is it disabled by default?

In order to use my screen at their native resolution I guess I would be more in need of an "output switcher" than a splitter but I don't know if that sort of thing exists. Does any of you has any hints about that? If possible, I would like to avoid having to connect/disconnect cables because that could wear out the hardware.

I assume I'll can create different video presets on the Mister and I'll be able to switch from one to the other depending on the screen I'll use, is that the case?

Armakuni

Re: HDMI Multi Output

Unread post by Armakuni »

The HDMI on the DE-10 has CEC issues and is not isolated, so the board can partially power up just through HDMI power.

They don't work well with switches or ARC

You can get a CEC blocker though

kerdou

Unread post by kerdou »

Armakuni wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:18 pm

The HDMI on the DE-10 has CEC issues and is not isolated, so the board can partially power up just through HDMI power.

They don't work well with switches or ARC

You can get a CEC blocker though

Thanks for your answer.

I might have found a workaround but it's costly. That HDMI matrix will allow me to specifically select which output will be active. If I only have one active at a time, that might do the trick.

Since I don't have any device using ARC, the rest should be ok. Fingers crossed though.

FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

If that is a monitor with a genuine g-sync module I become suspicious. They aren't as tolerant of your average monitor of non-native resolutions and especially weird aspect ratios like 4:3, so its possibly an issue for your test device as well as maybe the Mister itself.

kerdou

Unread post by kerdou »

FoxbatStargazer wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:18 am

If that is a monitor with a genuine g-sync module I become suspicious. They aren't as tolerant of your average monitor of non-native resolutions and especially weird aspect ratios like 4:3, so its possibly an issue for your test device as well as maybe the Mister itself.

Good point, my main desktop screen has indeed a g-sync module. I guess I'll just wait for the DE10 to come and see how it goes with a direct HDMI connection before taking any other step.

The direct connection between my g-sync screen and my barebone works well so there is still hope.