Well Nobody Saw This Coming! Nintendo 64 Core Announced

thorr
Top Contributor

Re: Well Nobody Saw This Coming! Nintendo 64 Core Announced

Unread post by thorr »

the_importer wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:03 pm

Let's be real, when people say they like the N64, it's for: The Nintendo published games, the RARE published games, the Konami published games, the Hudson published games and the Midway published games. You'll only find a handful of titles worth playing outside of these 5 publishers that you can't find on other systems of the time like PS1, Saturn and Dreamcast which are all better due to the higher storage capacity.

The Star Wars games. And Super Mario 64 may very well be my favorite and most replayed game by me of all time, although I haven't gotten all the stars yet, but I am working on it on my real N64. For me it is always quality over quantity, and the quality of the N64 games for the most part is top notch.

Nickie

Unread post by Nickie »

the_importer wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:03 pm

Let's be real, when people say they like the N64, it's for: The Nintendo published games, the RARE published games, the Konami published games, the Hudson published games and the Midway published games. You'll only find a handful of titles worth playing outside of these 5 publishers that you can't find on other systems of the time like PS1, Saturn and Dreamcast which are all better due to the higher storage capacity.

honestly that's a lot of bangers already that some other consoles wish they had ahemsaturnrhemhem

Nintendo-published games are a total of 54 already!

out of which 10 are already enough to justify having the system honestly

Neocaron

Unread post by Neocaron »

Yeah I agree, between the Nintendo game and the Star Wars games, you have a lot of amazing stuff!

Waifu4Life

Unread post by Waifu4Life »

Regarding the Star Wars games, you can get these on GOG for pennies on the dollar during a sale and they'll run on a potato (which is still better than an N64).

Nickie

Unread post by Nickie »

wow i actually didn't know that they all were ported to PC but looks like they are indeed!

but well, even outside of the big nintendo franchises etc N64 has the Goemon games, Conker's bad fur day ( if you can't have the xbox remake) Wetrix, ExtremeG, Aero Gauge, some gems here and there :)

eldritch

Unread post by eldritch »

The N64 was the first console I purchased after moving out on my own when I turned 18. It was a big deal spending the huge dollars they were asking just for the games let alone the console itself. Finishing Ocarina of Time in my own living room was an epic experience. :lol:

kathleen
Top Contributor

Unread post by kathleen »

For sure, there are plenty of games to enjoy with.
Seeing the bad picture I have on my LCD TV with my N64, I'm really looking forward to play all the N64 games that I like (and for sure discover new ones) in better condition with my Mister.
Congratulation to the dev for what he's being doing.
All new cores, all new upgrades, improvement are always good to take.

かすりん

PistolsAtDawn

Unread post by PistolsAtDawn »

The first game is already playable on this core*! That's astounding progress in such a short time!

Robert, you are a machine!

*Namco Museum 64, obviously in not-perfect condition

mxml

Unread post by mxml »

Damn this man is a wizard. Got into MISTer to learn how to implement an N64 eventually and this dude just cranks one out! Truly some great work.

Neocaron

I predicted on Twitter that he would get a game running on the 11th of July, it was suppose to be a joke based on what happened to the PSX core, I guess Robert takes the jokes pretty seriously XD This is just amazing! Congratulations Robert!

TobyRieper

Unread post by TobyRieper »

Very impressive. With the N64 library MiSter will have it all. :D How long do you reckon to get GoldenEye running? That will keep me going for 6 months or so. Only reason I keep my N64 around.

meauxdal

Unread post by meauxdal »

Nickie wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:27 pm

wow i actually didn't know that they all were ported to PC but looks like they are indeed!

Battle for Naboo technically got ported in 2001, but the port doesn't play particularly nicely with modern systems. it's not on GOG, either

ghorricks

Unread post by ghorricks »

The latest builds are booting retail games like Mario 64 and Mario Kart 64. Not playable, but the progress being made is amazing.

Neocaron

TobyRieper wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:06 am

Very impressive. With the N64 library MiSter will have it all. :D How long do you reckon to get GoldenEye running? That will keep me going for 6 months or so. Only reason I keep my N64 around.

Glitchy in game Goldeneye by the end of september is my guess. And a fully working core by next summer. Basically a timeline close to the PSX core. I guess Robert has his workflow mastered to a T.

ferropop

Unread post by ferropop »

I just hope that all those who wrote nasty condescending posts about how "it can never be done, stop asking" maybe take a step back and use a bit of measured optimism going forwards.

So excited about the progress, hope he can take it all the way! Looks promising.

thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

This is super awesome progress, and so fast! Even I was convinced by the naysayers that N64 would never happen, and I am one who pushes the envelope of believing in what is theoretically possible while debating with the naysayers in most cases. Even if this is not 100% cycle accurate, it will probably be better than any emulator out there in most use cases.

Neocaron

ferropop wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:06 pm

I just hope that all those who wrote nasty condescending posts about how "it can never be done, stop asking" maybe take a step back and use a bit of measured optimism going forwards.

So excited about the progress, hope he can take it all the way! Looks promising.

They won't you see, because "it shouldn't have been done because it's won't be 100% accurate so why bother ye kna? it's still impossible at the end so we were right bro :twisted: "

I'm sorry for getting carried away. However, I'm sure some of the hardcore enthusiasts in the Mister community are quite frustrated to where Mister is going. I remember how harsh some people were towards BBond when he brought software emulators running on the ARM, I remember the pitchforks for the OC Arm, and I'm sure that Wizzo's efforts to make the Mister more palatable with remote and maybe even a full front end is probably considered a nuisance... Kind of sad but what can you do. It's far from being the majority so I guess it works out fine.

For me, the Mister represents the opportunity to have the entire history of gaming up to the 1990s in one place, running without added latency and with an almost imperceptible difference compared to original hardware, all while consuming minimal power. The option to even surpass the original hardware with quality of life improvements is great. It's also wonderful to see all these transistors being digitally preserved for the future. Of course, if we can't have the fully accurate version before 2030, I'm okay with using workarounds to make it possible now.

Waifu4Life

Unread post by Waifu4Life »

ferropop wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:06 pm

I remember when people use to say that SNES SA-1, GBA or optical consoles wouldn't be possible on the MiSTer. Moral of the story, it's only impossible when everyone tried it and can say without a doubt that it's impossible.

softtest9

Unread post by softtest9 »

People even doubted that the SNES would be possible on the MiSTer. Can't wait to try out the N64 core.

Akuma

Unread post by Akuma »

Its been a while since I used my MiSTer, but that N64-core came as a big surprise.

@FPGAzumSpass: Congrats, this is truly amazing :D