MAME CRT Rotation

Just got a MiSTer and need some help? Join the forum and post your questions here!
sonofrebus

MAME CRT Rotation

Unread post by sonofrebus »

Hello, been tinkering with my mister and jamma adapter for a few weeks now, things are going well but I can't get the screen flip or rotation to work. I've got a vertical monitor and 80% of the vertical arcade games are upside down and it's killing me not being able to play them. Please help if you can.

bazza_12
Top Contributor

Re: MAME CRT Rotation

Unread post by bazza_12 »

Sadly, there's no way to rotate them, that's how they're meant to be. all you can do is use HDMI compatible screen and change the mister.ini options to enable vga_scaler options then they will rotate.. but on an old CRT they won't.

Having said that if you use the arcade organizer filter, check in that video menu there is a list of all the cores that will have the correct orientation.

The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
HerrBerzerk

Unread post by HerrBerzerk »

First I would rotate my monitor, than only 20% are wrong ;-) But still, my understanding is, that it is not technically impossible to have the screen flipped upside down, at least for most games, it's just that we don't have someone who does it. Hasn't it be done for Centipede, Q-Bert (wrong again) and others?

This and fact that a lot of "Golden Age Classics" are not playable are the only reasons, why I still have Mame in my Arcade Cabinet, otherwise I would have switched to Mister immediately.

thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

Check the core menu to look for options to flip the screen. It is per core. If you can remount the screen rotated the other way if it is 80% wrong.

sonofrebus

Thanks for your advice guys, even when there is the flip option, save settings and reset it doesn't do anything. Rotating that monitor is daunting😂I've read somewhere about switching wires in the monitor, I think there's what I will need to try. Many thanks again.

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

Odd, I remember the flip option working on my CRT with a lot of the arcade cores (without having to use the scaler). There's indeed one kind of vertical orientation that works with most cores.

bazza_12
Top Contributor

LamerDeluxe wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:27 pm

Odd, I remember the flip option working on my CRT with a lot of the arcade cores (without having to use the scaler). There's indeed one kind of vertical orientation that works with most cores.

if you remember how let me know :)

thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

bazza_12 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:40 pm

When in the core, press F12 and look through all the menus (press left and right to get all the pages). Each core might be different.

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

bazza_12 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:40 pm

Will do. I need to hook my MiSTer up to a CRT again, love to see systems displayed the way they used to. Today the MiSTer, with TTY2OLED, mt32-pi, paddle controllers and Daptors, is coming with me to the 'Atari Invasion of the Commodore Club' :D

bazza_12
Top Contributor

thorr wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:15 pm

When in the core, press F12 and look through all the menus (press left and right to get all the pages). Each core might be different.

yeah even when you look at the individual settings. you can't rotate some cores on a CRT..

sonofrebus

I read this everywhere yet nothing happens when I change the flip or rotate setting if it's availible in the core. I have a 15hz monitor and I've changed some ini settings. Composite sync=1,ygpbr=1,forced_scandoubler=1. Do you know if changing these settings would prevent the screen from rotating?

sonofrebus

HerrBerzerk wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:26 am

First I would rotate my monitor, than only 20% are wrong ;-) But still, my understanding is, that it is not technically impossible to have the screen flipped upside down, at least for most games, it's just that we don't have someone who does it. Hasn't it be done for Centipede, Q-Bert (wrong again) and others?

This and fact that a lot of "Golden Age Classics" are not playable are the only reasons, why I still have Mame in my Arcade Cabinet, otherwise I would have switched to Mister immediately.

Easier said than done amigo my cabinet is a tank, rotating the crt is a major undertaking and unfortunately the games that are orientated correctly are all the classics, Pacman, 1942/3, bomb jack. It's a pickle I'm in for sure.

HerrBerzerk

There is a way to rotate the picture by rewiring the cables to the crt, but when your favorite games are all in the correct orientation, that's really a problem. I can feel with you, I would also love to see all games in the same vertical orientation.

sonofrebus

Yeah I've seen you can switch the yoke plugs around, unfortunately my monitor won't allow that.

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

sonofrebus wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:02 pm

I read this everywhere yet nothing happens when I change the flip or rotate setting if it's availible in the core. I have a 15hz monitor and I've changed some ini settings. Composite sync=1,ygpbr=1,forced_scandoubler=1. Do you know if changing these settings would prevent the screen from rotating?

This is odd, I am starting to wonder if something changed in the MiSTer framework that prevents this from working on the analog output. What I remember is that I had trouble with only a few cores that didn't have a flip option, or that didn't work correctly. Like Ladybug, which should work now and Q*Bert, that still needs fixing.

Of your options, the one I think that might interfere could be the forced_scandoubler option.

HerrBerzerk

LamerDeluxe wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:40 pm

This is odd, I am starting to wonder if something changed in the MiSTer framework that prevents this from working on the analog output. What I

Now you that say it, I checked some vertical games last week also (not structured because I only have a horizontal TV) and I was wondering that the flip option only worked digital and not analog. Q-Bert was completely odd because instead of flipping it mirrored, and the otheres I'm not sure... might have been Galaxian, Galaga, Phoenix and Gorf. I'll check later.

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

HerrBerzerk wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:32 am

This is odd, I am starting to wonder if something changed in the MiSTer framework that prevents this from working on the analog output. What I

Now you that say it, I checked some vertical games last week also (not structured because I only have a horizontal TV) and I was wondering that the flip option only worked digital and not analog. Q-Bert was completely odd because instead of flipping it mirrored, and the otheres I'm not sure... might have been Galaxian, Galaga, Phoenix and Gorf. I'll check later.

I think Gorf was another problematic core to add a flip function to. That is why one of the orientations has more cores that work, either because they are in the correct orientation or they have a (correctly working) flip option.

Vic20-Ian

Unread post by Vic20-Ian »

LamerDeluxe wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:56 am
HerrBerzerk wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:32 am

I think Gorf was another problematic core to add a flip function to. That is why one of the orientations has more cores that work, either because they are in the correct orientation or they have a (correctly working) flip option.

Gorf is limited to rotate one way and ends up displaying upside down on my Dell rotatable monitor as it only rotates one way (clockwise iirc) with the factory stand.

The Gorf rom could be edited to achieve correct orientation with a clockwise only rotating screen as the player 2 screen is inverted compared to player one and displays correctly instead of upside down.

Solutions for Gorf are:

1. Play 2 player games, Let player one die and enjoy player 2
  2. Replace monitor stand with one that rotates both ways to support all cores
  3. Find someone who could hack the rom to make Player one and two display in Player 2 orientation for cocktail mode
  4. additional flip code in the core - has been ruled out but not sure why
sonofrebus

Crazy, Ive tried every combination of flip with no result for weeks, updated twice since yesterday and now I can get the screen to flip, I've not changed any settings. Happy days.

bazza_12
Top Contributor

sonofrebus wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:18 pm

Crazy, Ive tried every combination of flip with no result for weeks, updated twice since yesterday and now I can get the screen to flip, I've not changed any settings. Happy days.

what settings have you currently got that works?

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

sonofrebus wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:18 pm

Good to hear that! Does look like the functionality broke at some point then.