MD/Genesis Based Arcade Boards (SEGA System C & Mega Play)

dcubed

MD/Genesis Based Arcade Boards (SEGA System C & Mega Play)

Unread post by dcubed »

Hi there. Was just wondering if anyone has attempted to get the Mega Drive-based arcade boards up and running on MiSTer?

I get that the SEGA System C/C2 isn't identical to a stock Mega Drive (Eschewing the Z80 entirely in favour of an overclocked 68000 and featuring a different colour encoder chip that bypasses the MD VDP's 64 colour limitations for starters). But I would imagine that with most of the hardware being shared with a standard Mega Drive that this would be quite doable?

While a big chunk of its library was ported to the Mega Drive (often with some compromises, Puyo Puyo 2 springs to mind), there's actually a fair few exclusives; including the unreleased SegaSonicBros, Thunderforce AC and Columns 2.

Would be great to see these games come to MiSTer, especially for people who own MiSTer-powered arcade cabinets!

mic_

Re: MD/Genesis Based Arcade Boards (SEGA System C & Mega Play)

Unread post by mic_ »

Thunderforce AC is available on the Saturn as part of the Thunder Force Gold Pack. I haven't checked if it's playable on the MiSTer Saturn core.

kathleen
Top Contributor

Re: MD/Genesis Based Arcade Boards (SEGA System C & Mega Play)

Unread post by kathleen »

mic_ wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:12 am

Thunderforce AC is available on the Saturn as part of the Thunder Force Gold Pack. I haven't checked if it's playable on the MiSTer Saturn core.

I tested both Thunder Force Gold Pack 1 & 2 (JP version) yesterday and I do confirm that they work like a charm on the Mister with the latest Saturn core.
Thanks for reminding that those games were on Saturn. They're amazing.

かすりん