Problem With the PAL CRT TV

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
folderwin

Problem With the PAL CRT TV

Unread post by folderwin »

I come from the pal region. and I came to my parents on vacation and found an old pal TV with them. And it turned out that through the sega Saturn output, the image is only black and white, is it possible to solve this problem somehow?

on my mega drive there was a multi - region mod with which I played perfectly on this TV in color .

Swainy

Re: Problem With the PAL CRT TV

Unread post by Swainy »

What cable are you using?

folderwin

Sega saturn av cable

folderwin

it's not about the cable, any ntfs console also famicom shows in black and white, the problem is in a different color coding system. I repeat, on sega mega drive jap, I had a multi-region mog, and when I switched the rally to pal mode, the color appeared. I was hoping that there is something like this by default. Since I'm going to be stuck here for two more weeks

Nioreh

Unread post by Nioreh »

I guess you are using an NTSC console. You need an RGB connection.

lsnderick

Unread post by lsnderick »

May be try changing some values in MiSTer.ini file, like [ntsc_mode] or [menu_pal], i'm not shure

MrSniffles

Unread post by MrSniffles »

What cable are you using? I'm using a PAL CRT and get colour, and I go from the VGA on the IO board to RGB SCART on the TV.

Duffygag

Unread post by Duffygag »

99% of PAL crt can do NTSC without any issue, you probably have to troubleshoot elsewhere

wsz

Unread post by wsz »

PAL CRTs will always display an NTSC AV composite or RF signal (or vice versa) on black and white. The only way to get full colour is to use an RGB cabled connection, or get the device (in this case the MiSTer) to display the correct PAL or NTSC signal for your CRT, as required. Should be able to configure that in the .ini or possible the core settings itself.

virtuali

Unread post by virtuali »

There were all 3 possible cases of PAL TVs, depending on their age:

• Those would only display NTSC in black and white, and didn't had any RGB connection. These were the oldest ones, before the Scart interface ( which carried RGB ) came out.

• Those that required an RGB cable, through Scart, to work in NTSC. These are probably the most common ones.

• Those the can work in NTSC with every source, Composite, S-Video or RGB, since they are truly multistandard. These were the most recent ones, like Sony Wega, Panasonic Quintrix, etc. I still have a Panasonic Quintrix 32" 16:9, which when connected to an NTSC source, even on Composite, it fully recognizes it, and shows a different image settings menu, which would include the weird "Tint" control, which is just not there in PAL.

GeCe

Unread post by GeCe »

Duffygag wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:28 pm

99% of PAL crt can do NTSC without any issue, you probably have to troubleshoot elsewhere

That's not true

Duffygag

Unread post by Duffygag »

GeCe wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:16 pm

That's not true

OF course is not, not true

GeCe

Unread post by GeCe »

Duffygag wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:37 pm
GeCe wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:16 pm

That's not true

OF course is not, not true

Maybe be you are mixing concepts. 99% of PAL CRT can handle 60 Hz is more accurate.

AmanoJacu

Unread post by AmanoJacu »

My first PAL TV, bought circa 1993, Sharp, was unable to display NTSC or 60hz video, the image would be out of sync, even using an RGB SCART cable. My second one, Sony Trinitron bough in 1999, would display NTSC 60hz in black and white using a composite cable, but full color using a RGB SCART.

This was most noticeable when using my modded PAL PSX, as NTSC games would display in NTSC 60hz, therefore my first TV couldn't play them, only the second (one of the reasons I bought it). However, in my modded PAL Saturn, all games, even NTSC ones, would display in 50hz, so I could play them in the first TV, with thick horizontal black bars. The PAL Saturn was supposed to be able to be modded for 60hz, though.

Armakuni

Unread post by Armakuni »

NTSC 60hz on PAL CRTs has always has always been a mixed bag and you have use RGB

TVs from the likes of Sony, LG, JVC are usually safe bets anything else is pot luck

Philips are one of the worse and they were still locking even some of the Blackline CRTs to PAL 50hz as late as 1998