RTG Implementation Question

guddler

RTG Implementation Question

Unread post by guddler »

Quite simply, how complete is the RTG implementation in the Minimig core of MiSTer? I am working with someone on porting some software to Amiga that uses RTG as it's render device. The ultimate target is A1200 with PiStorm32 Lite (below if it will run, of course) but while I have one of these, my friend doesn't. We do both however have MiSTer's.

The problem is, despite everything I try, I cannot get a 640x480x8 HW Surface. The software comes up SW rendering to chip ram, runs like a snail and ultimately consumes all chip ram pretty quickly. WB is fine, rendering in whatever resolution, nice and snappy and not using chip ram. Worth noting it runs fine on my A1200 with PiStorm32. I fully intend to try it on my 68060 machine with actual RTG card, I just haven't had the time yet (IRL stuff going on).

I assume this is in some way down to the RTG implemention in the MiSTer, but before I rule it out, I do want to make sure I'm not missing some magic that I need to do. I have installed P96 and the MiSTer RTG files as per the instructions on the core's github. I have ensured that the requested resolution exists. I am unable to run PVS, it complains on startup (I forget the exact error - missing board I think? maybe missing monitor?) the other night I tried to add a resolution in P96ScreenMode prefs and got an error that it was too big (it was 640x512 I think so absolutely not too big?). I am using VGA_Scaler=1 since I'm connected to the analog VGA output. Obviously I'm running 68020 | AGA with the 300MB+ memory option and 2MB chip. OS is 3.9 out of one of my real Amigas I think.

I think that's all the info for now? Everything about P96 and RTG is acting like I've either done something wrong or the implementation is in some way incomplete and just enough to get the job done for higher resolution WB.

Newsdee
Top Contributor

Re: RTG Implementation Question

Unread post by Newsdee »

I have run Shapeshifter with 1080p on the core, so its definitely not just the workbench that works with RTG.

I'm not familiar enough with the config to help, but at leaat it suggests the implementation is functional for gaming.

guddler

Re: RTG Implementation Question

Unread post by guddler »

It does - thank you. I need to build a new install because I’ve categorically proved as much as I can in fs-uae that all I need is a clean 3.1.4 and P96.

I’ve no idea what voodoo uae may be doing however.