minimig graphic tablet on serial port

infiniterhythm

minimig graphic tablet on serial port

Unread post by infiniterhythm »

Hi everybody!
I have a Wacom graphic tablet that I use on my real amiga 1200. There are USB to serial adapters available, can I use one of them and use my tablet within minimig? Is there a specific serial.device to achieve this?

bbond007
Top Contributor

Re: minimig graphic tablet on serial port

Unread post by bbond007 »

infiniterhythm wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:09 pm

Hi everybody!
I have a Wacom graphic tablet that I use on my real amiga 1200. There are USB to serial adapters available, can I use one of them and use my tablet within minimig? Is there a specific serial.device to achieve this?

It would be useful to know the model # (or just more specific info) of the Wacom device, but do you know what BAUD the Wacom graphic tablet uses and if it uses 8 bit, no parity and 1 stop bit serial protocol?

If you have a USB serial adapter connected (the one I use --> https://www.ebay.com/itm/153104025639) you should have another option on the OSD (under UART)
for MODEM/LINK:USB

As long as the GFX tablet uses "8-N-1" protocol and you have the correct BAUD rate it should work - in theory :)

This is interesting, hope you get it working... Please let us know :?:

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

One thing to keep in mind with USB to serial adapters is that they might contain a buffer that leads to a high latency, making it impossible to draw properly. I tried this with my serial Wacom tablet a very long time ago though, modern USB to serial adapters might have less latency.

infiniterhythm

Unread post by infiniterhythm »

It's a Wacom UD0608, it communicates at 9600 baud speaking Wacom protocol IV.
It does seem to use no parity, 8 bit and 1 stop bit. I found those figures there:
https://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index. ... 80154.html
Regarding the latency issue, anyone has tips to achieve a smooth drawing experience?
bbond007 do u have a satisfying experience with the adapter you linked to?
From what I could read online, it seems that people using Windows for instance can set this on a control panel. But I don't know about the buffering of the adapters...

bbond007
Top Contributor

Unread post by bbond007 »

infiniterhythm wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:38 am

It's a Wacom UD0608, it communicates at 9600 baud speaking Wacom protocol IV.
It does seem to use no parity, 8 bit and 1 stop bit. I found those figures there:

Good news....

LamerDeluxe wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:32 am

One thing to keep in mind with USB to serial adapters is that they might contain a buffer that leads to a high latency, making it impossible to draw properly. I tried this with my serial Wacom tablet a very long time ago though, modern USB to serial adapters might have less latency.

Definitely true. I already had a few converters (pl2303 and another I unfortunately can't remember) and they were not supported by the default kernel, so I compiled modules for them. They both had terrible lag. Enough lag that I could not play Battle Chess (which operates at 300 BAUD) against my MiniMig 1.1

The FT232 chip is supported out of the box(by the MiSTer kernel), and does seem to preform much better, but I have no idea how much lag it adds.

infiniterhythm wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:38 am

bbond007 do u have a satisfying experience with the adapter you linked to?

It seems to work very well, but I have no idea how well it would work for the Wacom GFX tab. It might be worth a try though...

Also, you might want to look for serial converters that can interface with the USER IO port on the IO board directly without going through the HPS Linux.

That way you could still have COM1 available while using the tablet and don't sacrifice PPP and other UART options.