update_all From Computer?

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
misterrocks

update_all From Computer?

Unread post by misterrocks »

Is there any way to update the SD card from a separate computer? Can I run update_all on a separate computer?

rhester72
Top Contributor

Re: update_all From Computer?

Unread post by rhester72 »

If you're connected to the network, enable ssh and do it via whatever computer you want.

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

At one time there was a version of the update script which could run on the PC. I never used it so I cannot say much about it.
I do not know if there is such an updater for the current version of the updater.

misterrocks

rhester72 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:50 pm

If you're connected to the network, enable ssh and do it via whatever computer you want.

I should have been more specific. Can I insert the SD card into a separate computer and run update_all (or anything similar) from there?

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

It looks like it is still around:
PC Launcher (for Windows, Mac, and Linux)

Check MiSTer Downloader's PC Launcher to download all MiSTer files on your PC. Useful if you can't connect your MiSTer to the internet.

To install the same files that you get with Update All, use the same downloader.ini file that you have in your MiSTer at the root of the SD card. Keep in mind that Update All writes into that file every time you change something in the Settings Screen.

Here is the link to MiSTer Downloader's PC Launcher
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Downloa ... auncher.md

misterrocks

Amazing! Thank you! I will give this a try.

redsteakraw

Unread post by redsteakraw »

Just ssh in you can update it by basically remoting in then all you need to do is run the script. Then again I am used to using the Linux command line.

Fear is the mind killer!
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

redsteakraw wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:35 pm

Just ssh in you can update it by basically remoting in then all you need to do is run the script. Then again I am used to using the Linux command line.

viewtopic.php?p=72558#p72558

djsquare

Unread post by djsquare »

When the original updater script first came out the only way to use it was to ssh into the MiSTer and run the script. It really was a game changer. We used to have to manually update everything. Just use Putty, it's free and a very basic terminal emulator

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

I remember you also could run it from the OSD -> Scripts. The annoyance with this method is that you can only do it after a reboot of MISTer. Once you started using MISTer you cannot run scripts via the OSD as it is no longer available. The reason is that only Menu.rbf allows access to running scripts, once you start a core the OSD menu is built into the core and this menu does not give access to scripts. I am not sure of the reason.
I always use Putty to run scripts and I can run them at any time. I have being doing it for years with no negative consequence but one thing I make sure is not touching my MISTer while the script is running.
I miss the old times when you had to download everything manually and find (or not) the arcade zips and build the roms. :lol:

Edit: I forget to mention Linux updates when you had to download a full MISTer SD card image, use a special MISTer SD card updater and make sure to check mark next to "Update only Boot+Linux". If you forgot you would end up with a fresh MISTer install, gone you cores and roms.
When you downloaded a new core you also had to create the games subdirectory for that core.

Those where the days.

redsteakraw

Unread post by redsteakraw »

Well technically you should be able to chroot into the SD card then run the script but it may only work on an arm device that may be compatible with any binaries so possibly the new Macs

I have a cheap arm laptop will try it out for the hell of it this weekend

Fear is the mind killer!
pbsk8

Unread post by pbsk8 »

I use windows power shell with ssh root

then I run update all script

I use this because my mister is connected to a crt so it doesnt appear on screen when I run a script right there

thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

pbsk8 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:36 pm

I use this because my mister is connected to a crt so it doesnt appear on screen when I run a script right there

Put this in your MiSTer.ini and you should be able to update from your CRT.

[Menu]
direct_video=0
vga_scaler=1
vsync_adjust=1
vscale_mode=1
video_mode=640,65,60,108,224,16,0,26,13919

pbsk8

Unread post by pbsk8 »

thorr wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:09 pm
pbsk8 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:36 pm

Put this in your MiSTer.ini and you should be able to update from your CRT.

[Menu]
direct_video=0
vga_scaler=1
vsync_adjust=1
vscale_mode=1
video_mode=640,65,60,108,224,16,0,26,13919

Thanks, it worked. But the image got squished on the sides. This image below shows the resolution of the tv, is it possible to edit the ini to add it and show clear image?

01.jpg
01.jpg (469.72 KiB) Viewed 841 times
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

pbsk8 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:22 pm

Thanks, it worked. But the image got squished on the sides. This image below shows the resolution of the tv, is it possible to edit the ini to add it and show clear image?

Regarding the sides, that is by design (by me in the modeline I developed) so that it doesn't cut off the text when you are running the update. It only affects the menu when a core is not loaded, so not everything will be squished all the time (assuming you put the [Menu] header in). I am not sure what you mean by clear image. Are you asking if you can have an image on the background instead of the static? Yes, that is possible. You can also change the font.

Also, you can try this modeline instead. It is what I am using currently. The one I gave you was an older one I found in a post I made since I didn't have access to my MiSTer when I posted it.
video_mode=640,47,56,113,224,16,0,28,13764

When you are running update_all, or pressing F9 to get to the console, the text should be clear.

If you want to adjust the sizing, you can see the guide here, specifically in the last paragraph. https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Wiki_Mi ... TION-GUIDE

chunky_tesco

Unread post by chunky_tesco »

i've installed this script and it runs fine on both MacOS and Windows 10. I had to run this command in terminal:

Code: Select all

/Applications/Python\ 3.10/Install\ Certificates.command

to fix the SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED issue.

I was just wondering, if a linux update is included in the update and requires a reboot - is it safe to run again incase of another framework update or should i plug the sd card into the MiSTer first?