pokemon red not loading the save properly

myke80

pokemon red not loading the save properly

Unread post by myke80 »

Hi,
I cannot use the last save with pokemon red on GBA. the save file is there along with all other from others games, the core in the console does not complian about it been missing but as soon as I start the game I get the message saying the the save was deleted. anyone knowing was is going on?
I would be happy even with a workaround as long as it is reliable and do not force me to restart the game every time

thanks in advance
myke

FPGAzumSpass
Core Developer

Re: pokemon red not loading the save properly

Unread post by FPGAzumSpass »

Pokemon red? This is the GBA subforum, so i'm not sure if you either talk about Fire Red or about the gameboy core.

In either case: i played both games and saving works.
Are you sure you have autosave on and opened the OSD after saving ingame before turning the mister off?

myke80

Unread post by myke80 »

I tried that too but still it does not work.
I posted here because the game runs on the GBA core, if I should post on a different subforum just point me to the correct one (i am kind of new to this forum)

AngelicLiver

Unread post by AngelicLiver »

Have you checked that the ROM and save have identical names? Could you perhaps post your save game and hash of the ROM you are using?

myke80

Unread post by myke80 »

this is the md5sum result for the rom
0f4964694b194cf3d3ffb87f2c057c7c Pokemon Fire Red.gba
and the save file

Attachments
Pokemon Fire Red.sav.gz
(1.75 KiB) Downloaded 114 times
FPGAzumSpass
Core Developer

Unread post by FPGAzumSpass »

where did you get this from? Pokemon Firered is a 128kbyte save, not 32kbyte

AngelicLiver

Unread post by AngelicLiver »

I popped that save into a hex editor along with a known-good save and I think I can see what's going on here.

I think you are trying to use a Pokemon Red (GameBoy) 32kbyte save with Pokemon Firered (GameBoy Advance) ROM (128kbyte save). Unfortunately this won't work, they are different games on different systems with an altogether different save format.

I haven't tested it but if you put it into the GameBoy save directory and use it with the appropriate GameBoy Pokemon Red ROM it should work.

[Edit] I checked your save with a utility called PKHeX and it does not appear to be a valid save and looking at it further with a hex editor much of it is gobbledegook.

myke80

Unread post by myke80 »

that was coming from the saves/GBA folder of my mister, and I never played the game on Gameboy core as of now. I'll just try to remove the file and see if that solves the problem.

myke80

Unread post by myke80 »

so I tried to remove the save but the new one was still 32Kb and not properly working. I also checked and all save files are 32Kb apparently(but I do not have many of them so I cannot tell for sure).

the source of the ROM is probably from some broken software based cheap handled emulator so I'll try to get a new one from a better source and see if that work