Keyboard not working on most cores

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
raleigh

Keyboard not working on most cores

Unread post by raleigh »

Another day, another problem :lol: So i thought playing with mister and noticed that F12 won't bring up the core menu. Keyboard works only on Amiga and 486 cores, but not on any arcade, or console core i tried. Keyboard works perfectly on Misster's own menu's. I'm using wireless Logitech keyboad. I've tried running update_all script, removing and reattaching usb receivers for no effect. Anyone else having similar issues, or is it just me? One thing i noticed is that mister menu's backgroung gets bugged on some restarts, the one with static noise etc.

Thanks.

dshadoff
Core Developer

Re: Keyboard not working on most cores

Unread post by dshadoff »

The keyboard is only a function of certain cores; only the cores which use a keyboard are programmed to use one.

But as for core functionality - printscreen, menu, etc. That's a function of the framework, and should work... although it would be helpful for you to provide specific examples. Maybe the cores are outdated or made outside of MiSTer standards (or maybe it's a bug)...

Also, "Logitech wireless keyboard" isn't clear enough - they have manu models, and multiple communication types ("universal receiver", bluetooth, etc.). I know that non-bluetooth has fewer problems but your issues seem unrelated to the bluetooth-related ones.

raleigh

Unread post by raleigh »

Hi, and thanks for reply. Sorry for being not being clear what i mean. My keyboard and mouse are both 2,4ghz wireless ones. They have previously worked flawlessly. What i meant is that keyboard stops working the second i load a core. I can't get to core's menu by pressing F12 on arcade cores. Console cores on other hand open to Mister menu where the keyboard stops working. Not registering any input, can't load rom, or do anything else for that matter. Keyboard only works on Amiga and PC cores.

raleigh

Unread post by raleigh »

OK. So OSD, and user buttons neither work on cores that won't accept KB or controller inputs. I doubt that cores freeze, because arcade cores launch and play on background normally. Tried to manually replace Lixux files and run update_all again, but problem persists.

raleigh

Unread post by raleigh »

I forgot i played around with scaler before and that was the cause. I still don't know how, but everything works now. Maybe mister draws a frame to screen and inputs work, but in background?

bazza_12
Top Contributor

Unread post by bazza_12 »

just out of interest have you tried using a wired keyboard?

The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
Bernouilli

Unread post by Bernouilli »

On ao486, you get the mister menu by pressing win-f12. F12 is treated as f12 by the ao486 core.

raleigh

Unread post by raleigh »

Yes, i'm aware how to open core menu on ao486 core. As i stated on my previous post, everything works fine now. Even with the wireless kb and mouse. I had somehow messed up my custom resolution in mister.ini and because of that the scaler options started to act funny and borked inputs.

bazza_12
Top Contributor

Unread post by bazza_12 »

glad you've got it sorted :)

The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
raleigh

Unread post by raleigh »

bazza_12 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:15 pm

glad you've got it sorted :)

Thanks :D And yes, Mister feels so fragile it always stresses me out :lol: