H/V centering on console cores over VGA

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
green_onion

H/V centering on console cores over VGA

Unread post by green_onion »

Several arcade cores feature horizontal / vertical adjustments over VGA for centering on CRTs. A ridiculously convenient feature. I was wondering if there is anything preventing similar adjustments from being introduced to console cores. I understand implementing it would be on a per-core basis rather than anything that can be universally added into the framework.

A few examples:

The SNES core. Note part of the HUD at the top being cut off, while the bottom and right edges of the display show a gap before the boundaries of the screen end.

Screenshot 2023-04-30 at 6.35.50 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-04-30 at 6.35.50 AM.png (5.38 MiB) Viewed 668 times

A similar gap on the right edge of the display on the Genesis core.

Screenshot 2023-04-30 at 6.36.09 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-04-30 at 6.36.09 AM.png (6.63 MiB) Viewed 668 times

And sure, the geometry on some of my CRTs are probably off; it's never something I've tinkered with. But it would be wonderful to see some horizontal / vertical centering options introduced to console cores as in arcade ones.

FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Re: H/V centering on console cores over VGA

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

Part of the reason its there for the arcades, is that most home devices followed some kind of standard so that users wouldn't have to fiddle with their geometry for each system to have something usable. You would just need maintenence guy to calibrate it to standard and it should work good enough for all home systems, with either large borders padding the sides or HUD data kept out of the overscan area. Meanwhile arcades quite often did expect tweaking because cabinet monitors were usually dedicated to a single game, so important information could run to the very edge, and its something the operator or maintenance was expected to take care of.

Then there's the Amiga and that all goes out the window though. :P

Captain FPGA

Re: H/V centering on console cores over VGA

Unread post by Captain FPGA »

Is there an H/V adjust for the OSD?

Dreams don't die!