Centering a CRT screen

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
Captain FPGA

Centering a CRT screen

Unread post by Captain FPGA »

Is there a setting in the OSD I can use to simply center the television? If so wouldn't it apply to all cores?

Dreams don't die!
mapf

Re: Centering a CRT screen

Unread post by mapf »

No. As mentioned in another thread (viewtopic.php?p=72233#p72233) having different sizes and positions of analog output is expected for FPGA recreations of retro hardware.

Please refer to the post for some of the options.

I personally have set up my 15KHz monitor to be centered and properly scaled for NTSC console cores. The signals are similar across these, and even switching to PAL resolutions usually fits the monitor well enough. Some arcade cores allow for horizontal or vertical adjustments and can save these settings independend of other cores. This is helpful to get the picture into a position that shows all important information, like health bars - but usually some part of the picture is lost.

Some cores with very weird resolutions will not be centered or have large overscan (like R-Type) - if I really want to play them on the 15KHz monitor, I have to adjust the picture for that (and remember to set it back to my defaults after that).

Captain FPGA

Re: Centering a CRT screen

Unread post by Captain FPGA »

Thanks, I will study these instructions to a T

Dreams don't die!