Batman the Movie on MegaAGS/Amiga Vision

CeeDeeVee

Batman the Movie on MegaAGS/Amiga Vision

Unread post by CeeDeeVee »

Firstly, I really love having the convenience of this package and not having to use my original hardware and disks more than necessary, thanks to @limi and all that put the work in to this.

Now I fired up one of my old favorites 'Batman the Movie' the other week and got all the way to the last level, then half way up the cathedral the game just crashed. Shame. Didn't think much of it but yesterday I played again and it did the same thing in the same location. Wondered if this was an issue with the original and if I was taking a different route through the level that I'd not done back in the day, so I fired up my A500 and original disks and played through the same route with no crash. Does anyone else come across this or is it just me?

Yorkshire fella, living in California, where no one understands a word I say unless it's a quote from Game of Thrones.
I do music, code and burn myself with soldering irons. Part dog, part wolf, all coffee addict.
jordi

Re: Batman the Movie on MegaAGS/Amiga Vision

Unread post by jordi »

CeeDeeVee wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:20 pm

Firstly, I really love having the convenience of this package and not having to use my original hardware and disks more than necessary, thanks to @limi and all that put the work in to this.

Now I fired up one of my old favorites 'Batman the Movie' the other week and got all the way to the last level, then half way up the cathedral the game just crashed. Shame. Didn't think much of it but yesterday I played again and it did the same thing in the same location. Wondered if this was an issue with the original and if I was taking a different route through the level that I'd not done back in the day, so I fired up my A500 and original disks and played through the same route with no crash. Does anyone else come across this or is it just me?

I had same crash by using an emulator! I thought it was casual

CeeDeeVee

might be the WHDL version of this game for some reason?

Yorkshire fella, living in California, where no one understands a word I say unless it's a quote from Game of Thrones.
I do music, code and burn myself with soldering irons. Part dog, part wolf, all coffee addict.
limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

Several of the WHDLoad versions have (mostly unreported) bugs when you get further into the game, as the WHDL container creators haven’t necessarily taken the time to play through the entire game. I know Apidya has issues on later levels that do not exist with the floppy disk versions.

I’d recommend trying the floppy disk versions with the Amiga 500 setup included in AmigaVision, and unless the crash appears there (in which case it might be an issue with the core), report the bug on the WHDLoad site.

throAU

Unread post by throAU »

CeeDeeVee wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:20 pm

Could be an issue with the original rip as I remember having a similar problem with my original copy on my OCS Amiga 500 back in the day. I ended up returning it - back in the days of pre-internet there were no patch downloads available :D

It may have been an early copy? Pretty sure I bought mine as soon as it came out - maybe the original you have was a later release? If it matters my copy that GURU'd on the last level was one purchased in Australia/PAL.

I remember it because 12 year old me was devastated after getting all the way through... :D

CeeDeeVee

Thanks for confirming this, I'm gonna try to find an ADF and try that when I have the time, if that fails, I will (some day, as it's a pain with my setup) rip an ADF (is that the lingo that kids use these days) from the disk I have.

limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

I believe “rip an ADF” is exactly what the kids say these days.

limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

(but also, it’s an Ocean game, so it having game-breaking bugs isn’t exactly surprising)

Optiroc

Unread post by Optiroc »

I played this one through many times with the cracked version I had back in the day, and to my recollection it was not prone to crashing. Maybe the WHDL installer can use several versions.. Worth investigating perhaps.

CeeDeeVee

limi wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:47 am

(but also, it’s an Ocean game, so it having game-breaking bugs isn’t exactly surprising)

at least it's not as bad as Robocop on the C64... "it's broken, need to ship and it's not happening, let's just make the previous level impossible to complete in the time provided" :lol:

CeeDeeVee

Optiroc wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 5:33 am

I played this one through many times with the cracked version I had back in the day, and to my recollection it was not prone to crashing. Maybe the WHDL installer can use several versions.. Worth investigating perhaps.

sometimes cracked versions also contained fixes, I've not heard this about this game though, I will investigate over the weekend. Thanks