The Screen Blurs Using CPS2 After Playing NeoGeo Core

cloudywu

The Screen Blurs Using CPS2 After Playing NeoGeo Core

Unread post by cloudywu »

every time when I run the neogeo core first then run the ssf2x or ssf2t on cps2 core(super street fighter 2 turbo),the screen will blur (other games on cps2 are OK).

Attachments
DCE2F9D4-D280-48C6-8679-9D7373E70B2D.jpeg
DCE2F9D4-D280-48C6-8679-9D7373E70B2D.jpeg (4.57 MiB) Viewed 1224 times
Toya

Re: The Screen Blurs Using CPS2 After Playing NeoGeo Core

Unread post by Toya »

It is recommended to reboot MiSTer from the OSD when you want to change cores. Do not choose core in the OSD within an already running core and do not do a cold reboot

rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

Toya wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:14 am

It is recommended to reboot MiSTer from the OSD when you want to change cores. Do not choose core in the OSD within an already running core and do not do a cold reboot

Recommended in general or as a result of the beta NG core?

If the former, I wouldn't think so, as it would make things like SAM effectively impossible.

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Screen messed up when changing core is a rare occurrence. I always switch cores in the OSD and it has been a long time since I got a messed up screen. If it happens I do a reboot.

AtomicShroom

Unread post by AtomicShroom »

It's a known issue that things linger in memory and aren't cleared properly when switching cores, leading to corrupted graphics occasionnally. So make sure to always reboot when you switch cores.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3105

taz07rx

Unread post by taz07rx »

glitch on ssf2t / ssf2x happen to me pretty often when switching from core to these cores (not from specially neogeo one)

It happen also if I start the mister with a wifi dongle and don't wait wifi connection established (icon on top of mister menu)

So now for this game I fresh start the mister , wait a little bit and everything is fine since then.

Retro-Nerd

Unread post by Retro-Nerd »

Shouldn't an automatically used "flush memory" option, right before you start a new core, fix this kind of issue? I know that WHDLoad on the Amiga has something like that.

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

A long long time ago this issue was extremely frequent until Sorge made some changes and the issue almost disappeared. I guess each core would have be modified to do a cleanup.

dshadoff
Core Developer

Unread post by dshadoff »

As mentioned, this would appear to be related to the second core (or perhaps an element of the framework) relying on the initialization value of something, which is put into a different state by the prior core.

You could perhaps file an issue against the CPS2 core, but I don't know how long it would take to identify.
But there is a known workaround (cold start)... which is actually the recommended method of operation... so it likely won't get a high priority on the list of things to fix.