Advice about PVMs

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Re: Advice about PVMs

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

Most PAL consumer TVs had a SCART connection and would work with both PAL and NTSC, only when using an RGB signal. None of my TVs or 15Khz monitors showed color with composite NTSC.

jd213

Unread post by jd213 »

I got both of my PVMs for decent prices, one worked great for years but eventually developed a problem that a recap wasn't able to fix (still looking into it), and another was broken at first but I was able to fix with some online help, but it also eventually started having another problem.

Even 13" PVMs (which is too small for 16 bit or higher graphics IMO) can go for over $1000 USD nowadays, and there's a good possibilty that it will stop working or develop issues in a few years or less. So you'll either have to learn how to fix them yourself or pay someone to do it (at least there's a good bit of online resources for learning how to repair them compared with consumer CRTs).

If you have the room, getting another consumer CRT and/or PC CRT as backups might be a better long-term solution.

serge85

Unread post by serge85 »

I have 4 pvms.

3 of them developed problems, i've been able to fix two of them, but I'm still working in one.

beware of paying lots of money, those pvm will eventually have problems in my experience.

Reddit, forums, discord, etc are full of people asking for help to fix them.