Floppy & HDD sounds

spark2k06
Core Developer

Floppy & HDD sounds

Unread post by spark2k06 »

This video is great for extracting floppy drive sounds at different times... along with HDD sounds, one day it will be necessary to bring it to the core for optional use and give a more than interesting retro touch:

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Re: Floppy & HDD sounds

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

Nice collection of sounds. Too bad the fan noise is so loud. A setup using a Greaseweazle attached to a laptop could help with that.

spark2k06
Core Developer

LamerDeluxe wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 7:48 am

Nice collection of sounds. Too bad the fan noise is so loud. A setup using a Greaseweazle attached to a laptop could help with that.

It is also possible to filter the noise of the fan, this collection of sounds is very good. Nor does it mean that it is a simple task to bring it to the core synchronized with each type of reading/writing.

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

spark2k06 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 7:53 am
LamerDeluxe wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 7:48 am

It is also possible to filter the noise of the fan, this collection of sounds is very good. Nor does it mean that it is a simple task to bring it to the core synchronized with each type of reading/writing.

Yes, Audacity can analyze a noise section of the audio and then filter it out. With the noisy nature of the drive audio itself, that could work well enough.

I wonder if you recorded a full sweep of the drive head and played short parts of that, depending on which track the disk emulated head is stepping to, if that would work. Of course you wouldn't hear any reverb effects of the PC case that way.

spark2k06
Core Developer

By the way, that video is not mine... I found it and found it curious. Maybe it would be good to ask permission to the author of it before using its sounds.

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

spark2k06 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 8:06 am

By the way, that video is not mine... I found it and found it curious. Maybe it would be good to ask permission to the author of it before using its sounds.

Better safe than sorry I guess