ROM Management

Just got a MiSTer and need some help? Join the forum and post your questions here!
herman_toothrot

ROM Management

Unread post by herman_toothrot »

Hi guys,

How do you organize your ROM files on the Mister? With most romsets consisting of several thousand games I don't find it very effective just to dump everything in the associated /games/system folder. Scrolling (even with page-scrolling) takes forever and you don't find stuff quickly. I am aware of the "Favorites" script and the possibility to created subfolders in the respective games folder, but I am still looking for some best practices on how you guys organize stuff. Before I got my Mister I was primarily using Retrobat or Batocera, and you have multiple filtering, creating favorites and collections possibilities there.

Thanks!

Herman

Milspex

Re: ROM Management

Unread post by Milspex »

The Smokemonster rom set way of alphabetized folders A - F, G - K , L - P, Q - R etc etc

redsteakraw

Unread post by redsteakraw »

on the internet there is an archive and in that archive there is rumour of a htgdb. There in lies a possible solution to your inquiry. Beyond that the games I play the most or want to load on hand go in the favorites. So your streets of rage 2 and Cadillacs and dinosaurs you know the gaming equivalent of comfort food or to the Gods Ambrosia. But as every snowflake has it's own character and individual spirit as every grain of sand in a vast desert there is place for any little deviation you seek.

Fear is the mind killer!
Lightwave

Unread post by Lightwave »

I just subcategorize by game type within each core's game folder.

Koston

Unread post by Koston »

Technically the correct solution would be introducing a rich set of metadata for every game (platform, genre, year, developer, publisher, # of players, screen orientation, resolution, refresh rate, etc etc), writing a search/display filter against this data and saving filter presets with appropriate names.

But I just don't think it'd be worthwhile, especially because such a gizmo would be difficult to properly decouple from specific romsets.

I just use the favourites script to create menus of games I like to play, and use the internet to find new titles to try out.

pbsk8

Unread post by pbsk8 »

I have a 256gb sd card, so some consoles I can put the entire 1 game 1 region on it,

Some I just select a few like psx and sat, but first I convert the bin+sue to chd to save space.

Asphodel

Unread post by Asphodel »

I use this tool to sort my roms into subfolders: https://github.com/FarPerformance/UniversalRomSorter

Allejo

Unread post by Allejo »

One thing I do is delete redundant games and only keep 1 file for each game (which is called 1G1R - 1 game 1 rom) using Retool and Clrmame pro. I learned how to do it using this tutorial https://old.reddit.com/r/RetroPie/comme ... d_nointro/. There's full 1G1R packs available on the internet too.

I know this is not exactly a way to organize roms, but it reduces the number of files by more than a half compared to a full no-intro set for example.

Other than that, I put translated, improved (e.g. Snes roms with Fastrom or SA-1 hacks), and other types of romhacks each in a separate category folder.

Asphodel wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 11:33 am

I use this tool to sort my roms into subfolders: https://github.com/FarPerformance/UniversalRomSorter

Didn't know about this software, seems pretty handy!

Bas
Top Contributor

Unread post by Bas »

I keep a massive archive on my NAS and shop from there for the SD card. Working on making the archive accessible to the world.

pbsk8

Unread post by pbsk8 »

1G1R for no-intro and also for redump games

herman_toothrot

Unread post by herman_toothrot »

Thanks everyone, lots of good advice here! :D