Does update_all Change the BIOS?

Slypty

Does update_all Change the BIOS?

Unread post by Slypty »

I have 3 BIOS files installed in my games/PSX Folder. Before I updated a little while back, all my games worked just fine using a 15Khz CRT. A few games that stopped working after running update_all:

• Harmful Park

• Kyuiin

• Darius Games

• Rival Schools

I tried changing formats to bin/cue but still have a black screen for those titles. My region setting is on Adaptive, and some games work fine. Wondering if the latest update has botched some titles, I think it was the last 2 updates with this issue, May 3rd and whichever update came before that.

throAU

Re: Does update_all Change the BIOS?

Unread post by throAU »

Didn’t think the scripts installed/touched BIOS at all? I had to manually find/install PSX BIOS?

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

There is a setting in update all: BIOS Database.

aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Turn on the GPU slowdown option under the miscellaneous submenu in the OSD and reset the games that don't work. See if that works.

Also make sure you don't have any "unsafe" hack options (U) turned on in there currently.

birdybro~
Slypty

Unread post by Slypty »

So I tried turning on GPU Slowdown and checked for any Unsafe options, but no luck.

I was using Harmful Park at 480p on another CRT recently, but I removed that upscaling option so I'm not sure why I'm having trouble still. Maybe I'll just try updating the BIOS in the Script menu.

FPGAzumSpass
Core Developer

Unread post by FPGAzumSpass »

The recent update changed some things related to YC, but it shouldn't make things worse?
Unfortuantly i cannot test on CRT, but maybe someone can try one of these games on any CRT.

I don't get what 480p means for you...did you use some VGA scaler?

Slypty

Unread post by Slypty »

FPGAzumSpass wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 4:27 am

The recent update changed some things related to YC, but it shouldn't make things worse?
Unfortuantly i cannot test on CRT, but maybe someone can try one of these games on any CRT.

I don't get what 480p means for you...did you use some VGA scaler?

I was using the 480p video option hack in the PSX core menu. What I've realized that even with it toggled on, it isn't 'true' 480p, I can use this setting with a 15Khz monitor and it doesn't cause any issues, so I'm not sure if that hack option is actually working or not.

Reverting to an earlier .rbf release seems to have fixed nearly everything. Although I still can't load a few games for some reason, it's about 9/10 that I couldn't load with the new .rbf are now loading.

mike911

Unread post by mike911 »

The 480p option only works on HDMI, and it only works on 480i games. It should be disabled for analog output.