Digital IO Optical Out No Audio

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
christian776

Digital IO Optical Out No Audio

Unread post by christian776 »

Hi all,

I've recently bought one of those cheap DACs with optical input and two RCA jacks in the output, and I'm not getting any sound from the Mister (I do get analog sound just fine).
I tested the DAC with my TV set, and it works as expected. On the Mister I can see the red led that goes into the jack and it's on and I also looked for the 96khz setting on the ini file, and it's 0. What other things can I try ?

AngelicLiver

Re: Digital IO Optical Out No Audio

Unread post by AngelicLiver »

Are the DIP switches on the DE10-Nano set correctly?

For digital IO they should be set to:

SW0 | SW1 | SW2 | SW3
OFF | OFF | OFF | ON

IRONBERG

Unread post by IRONBERG »

Most common issue is cable not good enough. Second problem seems to be wrong kind of led on i/o board.

Hodor

Unread post by Hodor »

My optical audio out stopped working overnight. Just as that, one day worked, next day didn´t. The cable runs fine with another optical setup so does the DAC. I´ve been thinking a while about buying a new cable but I fear the very same result.

aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Hardwar ... ig_1.2.pdf

Check resistors R3 for 200 ohms and R4 for 1000 ohms with a multimeter. I've seen misteraddons resolve it for someone by having them replace a resistor that went bad. Other times replacing the LED will be required if the red LED isn't working anymore.

Attachments
2023-05-10_13-27-21.png
2023-05-10_13-27-21.png (112.05 KiB) Viewed 1185 times
birdybro~
christian776

Hi all,

I finally was able to see how the dip switches were positioned and I had SW0 ON and SW3 OFF like so

SW0 | SW1 | SW2 | SW3
ON | OFF | OFF | OFF

But, when I tried to move the switches like so,
SW0 | SW1 | SW2 | SW3
OFF | OFF | OFF | ON

I've no longer had VGA (since I'm using a CRT TV) nor audio.. I'm really at loss here.

christian776

Hey guys,

I've just noticed something that might be an interesting observations: when I connect the DAC dongle, the USB red led that goes on whenever I plug other devices, stays off. Does that mean that maybe my Mister is not pulling enough current to be able to power on the DAC properly (eventhough its power on led goes on) ?

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

christian776 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:16 am

Hey guys,

I've just noticed something that might be an interesting observations: when I connect the DAC dongle, the USB red led that goes on whenever I plug other devices, stays off. Does that mean that maybe my Mister is not pulling enough current to be able to power on the DAC properly (eventhough its power on led goes on) ?

https://misterfpga.co.uk/mister-fpga-ho ... -io-board/ shows how the switches should be