Arcade Coin Acceptor via Daemonbite?

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
homerghost

Arcade Coin Acceptor via Daemonbite?

Unread post by homerghost »

Hi all! I'm struggling with this and I'd appreciate some help!

I'm in the process of setting up a DIY Daemonbite Arcade controller with Sanwa parts etc. I've got a generic Chinese coin acceptor that I'd like to use with it for the coin "button" (pin 16/B7). I can wire up the 12v ground to a 12v DC adaptor, but I gather the "coin" line outputs 12v.

From the lack of solder bridge on the Pro Micro, am I right in thinking that this operates at 3.3v (unlike 5v for the other controller adapters except PSX)? I've done some research but I can't find a clear answer about how best to approach this. Resistors? Voltage regulators?

So my question is: how do I connect the "coin" wire to the Daemonbite without blowing something up, and how do I connect ground from the Coin Acceptor to the Pro Micro too?

gamesfan

Re: Arcade Coin Acceptor via Daemonbite?

Unread post by gamesfan »

I have a suzo happ coin door, the coin itself is a simple cherry micro switch (like a button) , its the light that requires power and I power that separately.
Link to your coin door for reference?

homerghost

That sounds lovely and simple, do you have a link to that one?

The one I'm trying out is just a JY-100F which is pretty cheap. Example here: https://www.faranux.com/product/jy-100f ... -acceptor/

gamesfan

It looks like that one has more going on with it.
I didn’t see a schematic , I’m sure it could work still but you would need to figure out what wires are used for the open and close of the button, then the other wires may want something aside from voltage. I’m not sure.

I use this one, but Suzo happ makes all kinds of styles.
https://na.suzohapp.com/products/coin_doors/42-7196-00

gamesfan

Here is a side pic of the mech and the switch for this type of coin mech.

Attachments
IMG_7671.jpeg
IMG_7671.jpeg (1.42 MiB) Viewed 908 times
homerghost

Thank you for that! I'll look into these a little bit more, the one I'm trying at the moment is the cheapest of the cheap but so far coin registration has been absolutely perfect so I'd be happy to use it if I can figure out how to safely get my pro micro to register a pulse

homerghost

Update: I got it working. Here are the steps I took:

I connected the 12v and Ground wires from the coin acceptor to a DC socket for use with a 12v DC adapter.

Then I ran a second wire from the ground to the ground of the Pro Micro.

I connected the COIN wire directly to pin 16 ("Select") on the Pro Micro.

Between COIN and Ground, I placed a 3.3v Zener Diode with the "line" side of the diode connected at the COIN end. I actually opened the device and soldered it to the pins on the motherboard (beware: there's a screw hidden behind the sticker)

So far, so good. It's registering coin inputs reliably and the voltage is measuring nice and low on the device. If anyone has any thoughts, let me know!

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Usually a series resistor is used but in this case I am not sure if it is necessary. May be someone can comment on it.

Attachments
Zener.jpg
Zener.jpg (14.48 KiB) Viewed 658 times
homerghost

Most of the arcade machine resources I found recommend adding a zener diode but none of them seem to reference adding an additional resistor. From what I gather the current isn't high enough to damage the diode so it isn't strictly necessary. I went with a 3.3v diode to match the logic of the arcade Daemonbite in this very specific use case, but a lot of things I read focused on getting the pulse from 12v to 5v - I don't know if the bigger drop from 12 to 3.3 makes any difference to the load on the zener. The calculation for the necessary resistor seems quite easy if you know the current, but I don't have a clue, I'd love to know if anyone has any ideas!

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

This is also what I think with the current being low and thus not requiring the resistor. I also saw such a circuit.
Here is a web page for 5V to 3.3V. I don't really know what to think about all that.